Daniel Reetz, the founder of the DIY Book Scanner community, has recently started making videos of prototyping and shop tips. If you are tinkering with a book scanner (or any other project) in your home shop, these tips will come in handy. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn0gq8 ... g_8K1nfInQ

Measuring Camera Distance

Everything camera related. Includes triggers, batteries, power supplies, flatbeds and sheet-feeding scanners, too.
ibr4him

Measuring Camera Distance

Post by ibr4him » 03 Feb 2011, 03:20

Atiz uses "Red Set" And "Blue Set" to measure distance: http://wiki.atiz.com/index.php?title=Red_Blue_Set_Guide

What are these devices called? Are they available for purchase somewhere?

Thanks!

spamsickle

Re: Measuring Camera Distance

Post by spamsickle » 03 Feb 2011, 09:39

I don't think they're measuring distance so much as setting distance.

It looks to me like they're gadgets which keep the film plane parallel to the page frame when the camera is moved further from the page. There are two color-coded gadgets, designed to be used with two preset "effective focus" (zoom) settings on the cameras. The "red" and "blue" drawings are identical except for the color, so if they really reflect the dimensions of the gadgets, the only difference is in the cameras themselves. I have a hard time believing people would buy 4 cameras which can't change their zoom rather than two cameras which can, but this may be part of idiot-proofing the design -- the only variable would be figuring out which size of book you're scanning, and then "choose the red pole or the blue pole." After that, just move the camera nearer or further to frame the page (the gadget insures it stays centered and parallel) and you're set. There are probably measurements on the bars themselves to permit the left and right cameras to be set at the same distance.

This is in contrast to my design with tripods -- first I have to make sure the cameras are equidistant (I use a tape measure), and insuring the film plane is parallel to the camera can be a hassle -- I can tilt, pan, and roll the camera on the tripod, whereas none of that is possible in the Atiz design. CHDK enables me to make the zoom setting for both cameras the same, so I tend to keep the distance fixed and vary the framing with the zoom setting.

I can see how the Atiz design would be attractive if you wanted people with minimal training to be able to operate it properly. Keep the zoom fixed, and frame the page by varying the distance, on a pole that insures both sides are framed the same. It would save on setup time, and give you less things you can screw up.