remote control

Everything camera related. Includes triggers, batteries, power supplies, flatbeds and sheet-feeding scanners, too.

Moderator: peterZ

aloris

Re: remote control

Post by aloris »

i had chdk installed but changed to sdm, cause i couldn't get teh usb remote to work with chdk.
ptpcam? i searched for it in the ubuntu installation center but didn't find it. how do i install it? i quite new to this level of linux. Up until now i was just watching, not touching ;P
Gerard
Number of books owned: 0

Post by Gerard »

in the chdk forum (maybe it will be easier for you search in the chdk de forums)

for me my self, i was not successful with my a495, you have to download the chdk source codes and then compile ptpcam but maybe there is an short cut
aloris

Post by aloris »

ok thank you,

i'll manage somehow.
Anonymous1

Post by Anonymous1 »

I thought that the camera is supported, and it is. The reason it's not letting you trigger is because the Ubuntu repositories are supplying you with a 2 year old version of the program. That's kind of strange, but if you would like to get the latest version (which does support your camera), I've whipped up a quick compile and download script. Just copy and paste this into Terminal, give it your password (in order to install the software once it compiles), and it takes care of it all.

Here's the code. Just copy & paste it into Terminal, and you're good to go (if you have the dependencies already. If not, just post the errors):

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get remove libgphoto2-*
sudo apt-get remove gphoto2

sudo apt-get install build-essential 

wget http://sourceforge.net/projects/gphoto/files/libgphoto/2.4.10.1/libgphoto2-2.4.10.1.tar.bz2
tar -xf libgphoto2-2.4.10.1.tar.bz2
cd libgphoto2-2.4.10.1/
./configure
make
sudo make install
cd ..
rm -Rf libgphoto2-2.4.10.1/
rm -f libgphoto2-2.4.10.1.tar.bz2

wget http://sourceforge.net/projects/gphoto/files/gphoto/2.4.10/gphoto2-2.4.10.tar.bz2
tar -xf gphoto2-2.4.10.tar.bz2
cd gphoto2-2.4.10/
./configure
make
sudo make install
cd ..
rm -Rf gphoto2-2.4.10/
rm -f gphoto2-2.4.10.tar.bz2
aloris

Post by aloris »

when i get to the part

sudo apt-get install build-essential

it continues to there have to be downloaded 8000 archives this much space is required...
do you wish to continue?
and even if i press y for yes it aborts ???
Anonymous1

Post by Anonymous1 »

You might not have enough disk space to do all that (it requires only a hundred megs). What does this command say (it tells you the amount of disk space left)?

df -h
Anyways, as compiling might not be for you, I'll post links to the Debian Unstable DEB files (which you install just by clicking on them).
aloris

Post by aloris »

I swear my system want to drive me nuts
i tried j and Y to approve but only the tenth time i succeded, there were some libraries missing but i manged to fullfill the first box of your post succesfully: YEAH!

with the second box i come to the part configure then it says:

checking for LIBGPHOTO2... no
checking libgphoto2 config program... gphoto2-config
checking for gphoto2-config... no
configure: error:
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=
LIBGPHOTO2_LIBS=
LIBGPHOTO2_CFLAGS=

* Fatal: gphoto2 command line interface requires libgphoto2 >= 2.4.10 to build.
* Possible solutions:
* - set PKG_CONFIG_PATH to adequate value
* - call configure with LIBGPHOTO2_LIBS=.. and LIBGPHOTO2_CFLAGS=..
* - call configure with one of the --with-libgphoto2 parameters
* - get libgphoto2 and install it:
Anonymous1

Post by Anonymous1 »

Okay, that doesn't seem too good. Try re-compiling and re-installing with this script, and upload these six files (from your home directory):

configure_lib.txt
make_lib.txt
make_install_lib.txt

configure.txt
make.txt
make_install.txt
And here's the script:

wget http://sourceforge.net/projects/gphoto/files/libgphoto/2.4.10.1/libgphoto2-2.4.10.1.tar.bz2
tar -xf libgphoto2-2.4.10.1.tar.bz2
cd libgphoto2-2.4.10.1/
./configure > ../configure_lib.txt 2>&1
make > ../make_lib.txt 2>&1
sudo make install > make_install_lib.txt 2>&1
cd ..
rm -Rf libgphoto2-2.4.10.1/
rm -f libgphoto2-2.4.10.1.tar.bz2

wget http://sourceforge.net/projects/gphoto/files/gphoto/2.4.10/gphoto2-2.4.10.tar.bz2
tar -xf gphoto2-2.4.10.tar.bz2
cd gphoto2-2.4.10/
./configure > ../configure.txt 2>&1
make > ../make.txt 2>&1
sudo make install > make_install.txt 2>&1
cd ..
rm -Rf gphoto2-2.4.10/
rm -f gphoto2-2.4.10.tar.bz2
The second part is failing because it can't find the first part's stuff (the first compiles the library, and the second compiles the actual program. Without the library, the program won't run or compile, which is what that error says).
aloris

Post by aloris »

just now i really feel stupid. i grew up with windows and this all feels like 10th grade again.

here are 4 files those other two files are not in my directory

from your first scipts i tried again and it says

can not find jpeglib.h, any help with that?
Attachments
make.txt
(81 Bytes) Downloaded 440 times
configure.txt
(6.08 KiB) Downloaded 426 times
make_lib.txt
(155.64 KiB) Downloaded 430 times
configure_lib.txt
(23.08 KiB) Downloaded 424 times
miller

Post by miller »

Anonymous1 wrote:
This is just a screenshot of a really old Linux desktop running it, so it will look like a Mac OS X application for you (if you get it running).
I've installed gphoto2 without a problem using macports but am unable to install gtkam. I'm currently using Mac OS X and used the following method to install gphoto2.
1. In terminal: sudo port -v selfupdate then sudo port install gphoto2
2. killall PTPCamera (this allowed gphoto to recognize my camera)
3. Using a Nikon D40x I am able to use --capture-image-and-download to take individual pictures directly from the camera and download them into the home directory.

Beyond this I've been unable to install gtkam using MacOSX. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.