Camera Button on Steroids

Everything camera related. Includes triggers, batteries, power supplies, flatbeds and sheet-feeding scanners, too.

Moderator: peterZ

you1

Camera Button on Steroids

Post by you1 »

8-) I wrote a program to alter the behavior of the remote button. Specifically, it offers the following features:

• If the camera(s) is unable to focus on the image, it will use it’s last focus.
  • With a single (a) click, the cameras will focus and then capture the image, or with (b) a single Long hold click the cameras will capture the image without refocus.
  • Double click will refocus the first camera, triple click will refocus the second camera, and so on.
  • If the first click is long, and all the remaining clicks are quick, then the camera refocuses and shoots to capture the image. For example: 1 Long and 1 Quick click will capture a focused image from the first camera. 1 Long and 2 Quick clicks will capture a focused image from the second camera, and so on.
  • If all clicks are quick, and only the last click is long, then the image is captured from the corresponding camera without refocusing. For example: 1 Quick and 1 Long click will capture from second camera without a refocus. 2 Quick and 1 Long click will capture from the third camera without a refocus, and so on.
  • If all clicks are long clicks, then the last image from the corresponding camera will be erased. For example: Double long clicks will erase the last image from the first camera, triple long clicks will erase the last image from the second camera, and so on.
  • You can specify your default parameters (white balance, aperture, etc) so that next time the program is run, all your preferences are set.
  • You can specify how many clicks a specific camera should respond to.
[/color]

Though I've tested the functionality on my canon A590IS (it should work on your camera), I have not had a chance to fully test it scanning a book.

Here is a link to the script with some instructions: http://www.mind2b.com/component/content ... n-software

BTW, don’t expect multi-clicks to work as fast as double clicking on a computer. Your clicks need to be a little longer than computer clicks :(

Let me know what you think, and how it works for you.

Best,
Edvin
Last edited by Anonymous on 09 Jun 2009, 13:59, edited 1 time in total.
Cabe

Re: Camera Button on Steriods

Post by Cabe »

Am I right in assuming that it is controlled via mouse clicks?

If so some of the remote presenters that are used for powerpoint slide advance might be perfect.

Nicely done.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

EDVIN! This is GREAT! What a cool surprise. Wow, awesome awesome awesome.

That's an incredible amount of functionality packed into a single button. Have you told Microfunguy (David Sykes, SDM developer) about this? If not, you should post it to the Yahoo Group (or I'd be happy to, I have an account there). Some people there would be interested in these features for non-book-scanning purposes.

I'll install your script and test it tonight.
Am I right in assuming that it is controlled via mouse clicks?
No, it's controlled via button clicks from the electronics package on the scanner! The cameras are controlled by 5V pulses from the handle. No computer is involved.
Cabe

Post by Cabe »

OH!

Well that's even more interesting, for some reason I assumed this was a separate app that ran on a computer.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

Cool, isn't it? The Canon Powershot series has been hacked -- that's CHDK. Now there's a little scripting engine on them, you can even write code for them if you're skilled with that sort of thing. In essence they are tiny photo-computers. My original scanner only uses one of the most basic features of a branch of CHDK called StereoDataMaker (the cameras can be fired simultaneously with just a little 5V pulse).

Edvin's hack is the perfect example of how CHDK can extend and enhance almost any project involving cameras.
you1

Re: Camera Button on Steroids

Post by you1 »

Thanks daniel.
daniel_reetz wrote:Have you told Microfunguy (David Sykes, SDM developer) about this? If not, you should post it to the Yahoo Group (or I'd be happy to, I have an account there). Some people there would be interested in these features for non-book-scanning purposes.
It's already there ;)

It would be great to see this functionality in SDM if it means a quicker response; otherwise, the script is a good workaround.

Currently, there is one known bug:
After the camera goes into standby, the program is unable to complete the sequence of events invoked by the remote button. As a result, the camera freezes and it requires a restart (off/on).
europanorama

Post by europanorama »

i was testing timelaps of sdm with two a590is to shoot continously(there is no other method). it is not working properly. you can believe me, i was testing it precisely. 1. there is a synch-shift. 2.its is hardly every totally synch. 3. burst-mode does not work. the simplest and working mode is using continous-mode(canon) but each shot must be triggered(pushing the buton). one can imagine what happens if you dont control the blue-lights. i was testing it on a turntable shooting traffic. its is totally synch. shot 29 images all-around(360). enough for stitching. camera cannot shoot quicker. the advantage of this single shot-continous-shooting is: when you hit darker tones, camera will adjust exposure. tv used to lock exposure.
David Sykes

Post by David Sykes »

you1 wrote:Currently, there is one known bug:
After the camera goes into standby, the program is unable to complete the sequence of events invoked by the remote button. As a result, the camera freezes and it requires a restart
In SDM Advanced Menu\Miscellaneous\Disable LCD off, have you checked 'Script' ?

David
you1

Post by you1 »

In SDM Advanced Menu\Miscellaneous\Disable LCD off, have you checked 'Script' ?
No, I tried disabling LCD off from the standard menu (rather than SDM menu), which is probably why the display turned off anyways :]
I'll try disabling it in the SDM menu and report my finding; and if it works, it can serve as a good workaround.

When I get a chance, I'll investigate different property settings in the standby mode; to see if I can isolate the issue.
you1

Post by you1 »

As David suggested, the workaround for the bug is to set the "Disable LCD off" within the SDM Alt menu to "Script".

If you are new to CHDK menu, you can learn more about it at http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK_firmware_usage

Edvin