On January 17th, 2017, we migrated the community forum to a new hosting provider. If you posted, sent a private message, or applied for board membership between January 10th, 2017 and January 17th 2017, your submission might have been lost. We are currently working on recovering data from this time period. We are also working on getting the theme of the forum back to normal.

If you notice any new issues or have any questions, please contact duerig at jonathonduerig dot com for more assistance. Thanks for your patience.

Garden LED and flicker

All about lighting. LED, CFL, Halogen, Other? Questions and info about lighting go here.
yello
E-book readers owned: Sony
Number of books owned: 30

Garden LED and flicker

Post by yello » 08 Jan 2016, 03:34

I wonder, I see many designs where people use that garden floodlight LED lamps. They are strong and cheap, but don't you get problems with flicker?

When I take pictures of (cheap) 220V LED lamps with my digital cam or phone the images have strong stripes. I attached an image from a cheap LED filament bulb. Other LEDs can look the same, it all depends on the driver.

I would probably would use a DC driver to avoid that.

Just wondering if anybody here had that problem....
Attachments
fila_strip.jpg
fila_strip.jpg (425.94 KiB) Viewed 3474 times

duerig
Number of books owned: 1000

Re: Garden LED and flicker

Post by duerig » 08 Jan 2016, 13:00

I have heard about this problem, though I haven't seen it myself. The solution is to use a DC driver and LED just as you were thinking.

Most of the designs which use AC lights rely on CFL or Halogen bulbs instead of LED bulbs.

-D