Portable Build Lighting Question

All about lighting. LED, CFL, Halogen, Other? Questions and info about lighting go here.

Moderator: peterZ

johnwhelan
E-book readers owned: Nexus 7
Number of books owned: 5000

Re: Portable Build Lighting Question

Post by johnwhelan »

I've picked up a Home Depot LED work light 15 watts and 800 lumens but I can't see a colour temperature on it.

My first test image seems a little grey but after adjusting the exposure its much whiter and seems to OCR better. I assume once I get into CHDK settings and fix the length of exposure etc it should get a little better again.

Is there any reason not to continue using this led work light that anyone can see?

Thanks John
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

Do you have a part number? I've been re-evaluating lighting for quite a while now, and I've purchased, and disasssembled, not kidding, almost every LED light from Home Depot. Maybe I can tell you what it is.

Grey, as you said, has to do with exposure. Most LED bulbs are 6,000K (cool white, daylight) or 3200K (warm white) color temp. My opinion is that the 6000-6500K lights are better suited for our work.

BTW, the reason that the images come out gray is that the camera operates its exposure meter on the "grey world assumption". In short, that the average value of all pixels in a given scene should be grey. This is unfortunately not true with book pages. Most people could stand to make their exposures a little longer to get whiter page scans.
johnwhelan
E-book readers owned: Nexus 7
Number of books owned: 5000

Post by johnwhelan »

Model # WL800LP-H

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-5-ft-8 ... apCxUBwqUI

I get the impression its 6,000k as it is utility more than anything else.

Thanks John
GPHS2
E-book readers owned: Ipad 2
Number of books owned: 400

Post by GPHS2 »

Seems like there hasn't been anything on here in quite a while. Anyone come up with any results as to which light they feel works best for their situation. I am at the point where I am running some test shots with the Canon A 2200 cameras but would like to try the 10 or 20 w LED flood lights people mentioned in previous posts last year but haven't sen any followups reviewing them.

Hope to hear from others.

Mike in PA
mangodrink

Post by mangodrink »

GPHS2 wrote:Seems like there hasn't been anything on here in quite a while.would like to try the 10 or 20 w LED flood lights
Did you ever just go out to try the LED bulbs? Home Depot has excellent return policy, 90 days even w/ ripped up packaging. I hadn't even considered LED bulbs myself, but I'll look into them once I have another need to whip out my extra-ghetto cardboard scanner w/ the hot-sun simulator halogens.