whats this device ?

All about lighting. LED, CFL, Halogen, Other? Questions and info about lighting go here.

Moderator: peterZ

ray_uk
Number of books owned: 0

whats this device ?

Post by ray_uk »

Hi Group
This is my first post in this great forum. Amins if this is in wrong section, please remove.
Anyway Just came back from a boot sale in Cardiff. I bought this item for 50p thinking it may be useful as lighting for my DIY Book Scanner. I havent a clue what it is, even the seller didnt know. Please see attachment and if anybody tells me what it is, and if its useful to anybody on the forums, they can have it for free if the pay the postage. In the attachment you can see 3 slides the bottom is a magnifier middle slides like camera shutter etc. The lamp is just a halagen bulb. Any idea folks
Thanks
Rayo
Attachments
Question
Question
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: whats this device ?

Post by daniel_reetz »

It's a projector. You put the image (like a slide) somewhere before or after the aperture of the thing, and it will project the image onto a wall or floor.
Heelgrasper
E-book readers owned: None
Number of books owned: 500

Post by Heelgrasper »

Looks like this is called a gobo projector to be exact: http://blogs.terrorware.com/geoff/2010/ ... rojection/ . And that looks like something you can use for something cool (there's a YouTube video or two). But not scanning books :D
---
Jakob Øhlenschlæger
Randers, Denmark

The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there
L. P. Hartley
TomHorsley

Post by TomHorsley »

Heelgrasper wrote:Looks like this is called a gobo projector to be exact: http://blogs.terrorware.com/geoff/2010/ ... rojection/ . And that looks like something you can use for something cool (there's a YouTube video or two). But not scanning books :D
I don't know, maybe you could use it to project a grid on the book for an aid to detecting the geometry and mathematically flattening the pages :-).