Ionaudio Booksaver?

All about lighting. LED, CFL, Halogen, Other? Questions and info about lighting go here.

Moderator: peterZ

netherfred
E-book readers owned: iPad
Number of books owned: 0

Re: Ionaudio Booksaver?

Post by netherfred »

This seems quite weird, especially because my contact here in the Netherlands told me they were already manufactured and ready for shipping
some months ago. Plus of course I paid real money to get one. I hope I will still get a "failed to live up to expectations" product and form my own
opinion! Mail's out to check the rumors. Maybe they are just not releasing in the US and A?
drleonunes

Post by drleonunes »

Numark Japan ( numark@numark.jp )

Dear Leandro,

Thank you for your inquiry.

But sorry, our head office announced that the development of this product was discontinued unavoidably.

If there's anything else we can do to help, please just let us know.

Best regards,

Numark Japan
drleonunes

Post by drleonunes »

Hello Leandro,

Unfortunately, the product did not meet our high expectations for the quality and simplicity of the user experience.

I’m sorry to tell you we will not be shipping this product, at least not any time soon.

Personally, I believe it is a very good idea but the technology does not adequately support the book-scanning process yet.

Thanks,

Jon Hayes
Design Director
Ion Audio
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

I'm really sorry to hear this.

We'll keep working toward a DIY kit here.
loyukfai

Post by loyukfai »

Would like to know the reason for abandoning the project - Technical...? Cost...? Market...?

@drleonunes: Thanks for keeping us informed, but what's the point of posting all those email addresses...? In particular some of them don't seem to be sales-related...? You aren't thinking that spamming them with floods of emails will make a difference, aren't you? :geek:

Cheers.
netherfred

Post by netherfred »

Now I heard from my contact that the project isn't officially dead yet and that they are working on a solution.
I'm supposed to get an update by next week. And in the Netherlands it still hasn't disappeared from their website.
bea

Post by bea »

I just got a cancellation email too. Reading that the project isn't officially dead has given me a glimmer of hope.
Bea
LA2
Number of books owned: 1000

Post by LA2 »

In January 2012, ION Audio did present another product, the iPICS 2 GO, a negative/film scanner which seems to be merely a plastic box with LED lights, where you put your iPhone on top, and use its camera and screen for user interface. This made me think: Can we design a booksaver without the camera, with just a mounting screw for any old camera?

I guess the ION Audio Booksaver would have two cameras (?), pointing to each of the two pages. But perhaps the page images can be straightened afterwards with software, if the book's opening angle is wide enough (maybe 135 degrees?).

During the fall of 2011, updated images of the ION Audio Booksaver showed a tent of textile being wrapped around the legs. This is probably necessary to avoid glare. It made the whole thing look like a lampshade. Could this even be made from an old lampshade, where the bottom edge is bent to the appropriate angle?
hukeli

Post by hukeli »

I also independently asked Ion Audio about Booksaver and got the news on cancellation. I hope someone else will make something like this and keep it affordable. The next higher up price is a hefty $5000+ tool from a Chinese company: http://zclp.com/ Is there anything in between? I'd pay perhaps $2000 for a tool like this (including cameras) but not $5000.
netherfred

Post by netherfred »

A bit stupid, I missed the press release Ion Benelux/Europe did on february 6th, here's the short translations of the original dutch message:

Important news about the Booksaver
The booksaver, which was announced at Ces 2011, is unfortunately still not available. At CES 2012 the international press gave the booksaver plenty of attention. Only Ion UsA has stated in a press relaese that they wouldn't sell it due to dissatisfaction with the software. ION Benelux and Europe disagree strongly, we have had a lot of feedback of consumers and business contacts as well as professional digitizing companies, who all have told us that they would happily purchase the Booksaver without software. Sinde there are enough good OCR and PDF combination programs both freeware as well as commercial.
We have therefore decided to independently release a "european" version of the Booksaver, we have already placed the order ar the factory. Of course we will also continue improving the software. Somthe Booksaver is going to arrive, we will fly in the first shipment (which saves 4 weeks), the revised delivery date will be mid june.
Also, we will have available a sample model for you to try out, you are welcome to test this at our office. You can register by sending an email, please refer to our contact page. We expect to have the sample 2 to 3 weeks.
We are ever so sorry that rhe Booksaver is delayed so much and even more sorry that we have disappointed you repeatedly by postponing the shipment. Of course you can cancel your order free of charge any time. We will update you more frequently in the coming period, amongst others at what stage the production is, if the sample model is available. Again our appologies, yours truely.