Daniel Reetz, the founder of the DIY Book Scanner community, has recently started making videos of prototyping and shop tips. If you are tinkering with a book scanner (or any other project) in your home shop, these tips will come in handy. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn0gq8 ... g_8K1nfInQ

Ionaudio Booksaver?

All about lighting. LED, CFL, Halogen, Other? Questions and info about lighting go here.
loyukfai

Re: Ionaudio Booksaver?

Post by loyukfai » 08 Apr 2011, 12:34

netherfred wrote:Just found this discussion after a search here in the Netherlands for the product. The ION importer/distributor told me yesterday
they expect the units here mid May, which seems to be in line with some other sources that have claimed April
for the US. BTW they will sell here for €149 including taxes, but the person I was in contact with, immediately offered me a voucher for
30% off if I would pre-order it :D
Do they have a detailed specifications of the product now...? Particularly about the resolution of the cameras.

Cheers.

netherfred
E-book readers owned: iPad
Number of books owned: 0

Post by netherfred » 04 May 2011, 03:48

loyukfai wrote:
Do they have a detailed specifications of the product now...? Particularly about the resolution of the cameras.

Cheers.
They're supposed to be 5MP according to the tech support people I got a mail from today :roll:

So that means something like 150-200dpi for the books maximum. If I look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eAxYrhf ... re=related the presentation it seems the Motley Crue book (11x9 inches) is about the same size as the one in
the cradle, so then with 5MP (2560x1940) the resolution should be ~220 dpi.
I hope that's enough for OCR, otherwise I'll probably send the whole thing back.
Delivery is btw scheduled in 2 weeks (3rd week of May).

loyukfai

Post by loyukfai » 04 May 2011, 13:57

Interesting.

BTW, how much did you actually pay for it...? The local reseller quoted me a slightly under $200 price tag with "possible" delivery in June/July.

Please keep us posted.

Cheers.

netherfred

Post by netherfred » 04 May 2011, 14:50

loyukfai wrote:Interesting.

BTW, how much did you actually pay for it...? The local reseller quoted me a slightly under $200 price tag .
As said in the post that you quoted yourself :lol: €149 minus 30% so I think the grand total including delivery was €108,50. That is about $150 these days I guess... But without the discount close to $200. Personally I think I still paid too much, for the rather poor build quality that Ion offers, but then again, there's no real competition for sale at the moment. We'll have to wait and see when it arrives...

davdat

Post by davdat » 24 May 2011, 20:37

I called the US offices, they say that the scanner will be out late July, early August.

netherfred

Post by netherfred » 25 May 2011, 03:47

Yeah, I just got an email saying here in NL they will start shipping them end of June/beginning of July.
That sucks monkeyballs, but let's do the waiting game one more time again... :roll:

netherfred

Post by netherfred » 27 Jun 2011, 05:16

Those ION monkeys again postponed the delivery till "middle of August".
I'm beginning to think I bought vaporware!

netherfred

Post by netherfred » 26 Jul 2011, 05:23

Postponed till end of November :shock:

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz » 26 Jul 2011, 11:44

Thanks for keeping us up-to-date, Netherfred. Really appreciate that.

netherfred

Post by netherfred » 29 Oct 2011, 17:44

Ok, lastest news was that they were going to ship it to me faster than the official launch date, so right around now,
end of Octobre. As it turns out, the units have been produced and ready, BUT they are not going to ship them
until January, AFTER the NEXT CES!
So there you go, no Christmas gifts from Santa for ION...
And no booksaving for xmas holidays.
This is so outrageous it's not even making me (nor the guy from ION from the Netherlands) angry anymore.
Conclusion: no vaporware, but at this rate the books will be eaten away by the sands of time before
they ever see any action on the Booksaver. See you in 2012 and happy New Year! :twisted: