Daniel Reetz, the founder of the DIY Book Scanner community, has recently started making videos of prototyping and shop tips. If you are tinkering with a book scanner (or any other project) in your home shop, these tips will come in handy. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn0gq8 ... g_8K1nfInQ

Ionaudio Booksaver?

All about lighting. LED, CFL, Halogen, Other? Questions and info about lighting go here.
deklerkt
E-book readers owned: BE Book White, iPad
Number of books owned: 2000

Re: Ionaudio Booksaver?

Post by deklerkt » 23 Dec 2012, 10:45

Cannot confirm the resale but Konrad at the time said they would reconsider and restore the manual control in the side bar instead of on top of the camera.

However, I've been looking around for something similar and ended up with Plustek OpticBook A300 A3 flatbed scanner with a bookscanner side, i.e. you can drop one side of the book off the scanner and scan the other page almost right upto the spine (minus about 6 mm). The scanner is very fast, can be set to automatically scan at adjustable intervals and even rotates pages around to have them all oriented the same way. Output in JPG, BMP, TIF or combined PDF. Forget most of the crappy s/w that comes with it - its "Pavillion" part does most. Or use its TWAIN driver from within Finereader or Omnipage for ocr results.
I choose the A3 sized scanner but a far cheaper A4 sized is also available.

I won't look back. The destructive sheetreader ScanSnap S1500 of Fujitsu and the A300 from Plustek suit me fine to copy all books I want. At a very good resolution too as scanning seems better than any photo taken of the page.

LA2
Number of books owned: 1000

Post by LA2 » 30 Jan 2013, 17:50

Now (January 15) it's out of stock again, http://www.iononline.nl/news/?p=180
but a new model (mark 2) is being planned.

deklerkt
E-book readers owned: BE Book White, iPad
Number of books owned: 2000

Post by deklerkt » 29 Apr 2013, 07:32

Since Nov 2012 I've decided to use an A3 flatbed scanner specifically made for books, the Plustek OpticBook A300. I won't look back. The scanner has an A3 platter which is very convenient. Sometimes to scan 2 facing pages simultaneously if the spine can be pressed flat. Many books seem slightly wider than A4 so the extra space with an A3 scanner is useful - although the A3 size scanner is unproportionally more expensive than its A4 counterpart. It is also rather fast. A full A3 colour scan of 300 dpi takes about 4-5 seconds. Grey tone or duotone is faster. It certainly competes with the V-shaped DIY scanners in this regard.

The useful thing with a bookscanner is that one side of the platter almost runs to the spine (approx 3-4 mm is lost) and allows for flat scanned copies of the page. It is scanned rather than photographed and the images are sharper. Useful if you want pdf output and not plain text ePub.
Using the software that comes with the scanner or the TWAIN interface with Abbyy Finereader allows to set the scanner to automatic and scan a page every 4 or 5 seconds after a scan complets (so say once every 10 seconds). Time enough to manually rotate the book for the next page (and software will automatically ensure all pages are oriented the same way). A book of 200 pages takes about 2000 seconds or 34 minutes.
Of course OCR-ing the texts and converting to pdf of ePub takes additiional time for correction as well as output production.

But it works wonders. I'm very happy with the setup as I'm not a handy DIY-er to make my own. And I think the scans are sharper than a photograph with no reflection issues.

cday
Number of books owned: 0

Post by cday » 29 Apr 2013, 13:47

Using a flatbed scanner does eliminate the dewarping issue at a stroke and should generally produce higher quality scans.
Using the software that comes with the scanner or the TWAIN interface with Abbyy Finereader allows to set the scanner to automatic and scan a page every 4 or 5 seconds after a scan complets (so say once every 10 seconds).
I experimented with a foot-operated usb switch to start the scan, which leaves both hands free to hold the book in place and gives control over timing. It might speed things up slightly and also prevent unwanted mis-scans.

I made it by dismantling a usb mouse, wiring a suitable momentary-action switch to the circuit board in place of the left click switch, and then mounting it all in a shallow box. To the computer it's simply a second mouse with the cursor positioned over the 'scan' button.

LA2
Number of books owned: 1000

Post by LA2 » 20 Jul 2013, 01:03

On July 4, 2013, it was reported that the Ion Book Saver MK2 will not go into production.