anyone attempted full-auto or without a V-shaped glass?

DIY Book Scanner Skunk Works. Share your crazy ideas and novel approaches. Home of the "3D structure of a book" thread.

Moderator: peterZ

bookPanda

anyone attempted full-auto or without a V-shaped glass?

Post by bookPanda »

After watching the tutorial thread, I kind of figured the scanners being built here will be semi-auto at most, not sure if the camera shutter is manual as well? and the build always use a V-shaped glass over the pages.
Just wondering has anyone here attempted an full auto scanner or a scanner that does not require a V-shaped glass to press against the pages but with other types of mechanisms to hold the pages down in place.
Turtle91

Re: anyone attempted full-auto or without a V-shaped glass?

Post by Turtle91 »

Hi BookPanda,

The short answer is yes.

The longer answer is: there are people working on different ways of automatically turning the pages, servo robots, vacuum suction, telekinesis. And there are people who have automated the process of moving the platten (V shaped thingy) using pressurized air and motors. Daniel just worked out a design http://www.diybookscanner.org/forum/vie ... f=1&t=1163 where the platten doesn't move down, but the cradle moves up. This has an awesome benefit of allowing the cameras to be focused on one spot - the platten - and not have to change as the pages are turned. There are also builds that don't require the platten at all. The platten is simply to flatten the page so that when you take a picture it minimizes the amount of error or distortion seen in the pictures. Taking a flat picture of a curved surface and then using that picture to re-create the flat surface is what the software does, but it works a lot better if you have as little error as possible to begin with.

The only thing limiting what you can do is your technical skills, your imagination, and your pocketbook - that's why I am still using square rocks for wheels... :P

There are several completed builds in this thread http://www.diybookscanner.org/forum/vie ... ?f=1&t=280, but there are a lot still under construction. I'm still finding new ideas and I've been reading here for a few months now. Good stuff!

Cheers,
Dion
bookPanda

Post by bookPanda »

Thank you so much for the links Dion,
However on the first link you posted, it looks like the platten moves instead of the cradle since I see the yellow elastic ropes on the side and a handle bar (maybe a handle bar?) on the platten.

If you look at Scanrobot from traventus, it is the only large scale scanner that does not utilize camera mounts, what technology does it use? is it better than cameras?

also one question I forgot to mention, any light on working/shaping plastics(for a more refined look) and metal (tubes for movable platten) ?
Turtle91

Post by Turtle91 »

It is a little hard to decipher from that first picture. A little farther in that thread it posts a video that shows a little more detail, and you can glimpse it in action.http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14970879 look at about 2:40 into it to see Daniels part, but all of it is kinda interesting stuff.

Also, there is a little more info on this website: http://www.openbuddha.com/2011/09/22/da ... re-summit/

I don't know all the details of the Scanrobot, but it looks to me like they have the same technology as a flatbed scanner, but put into a vertically moving platten. The suction of the vertical piece holds the two pages against the glass as it scans upwards - making an image of both pages at the same time.

As far as the shaping plastics and metal tubing - everything is dependent on how much money you want to put into it. I have heard of some people taking designs to a local shop and having them cut the wood/metal/plexi etc for them. I haven't heard of anyone extruding metal tubes, but there are a few aluminum builds on here. Mine happens to be an aluminum frame for the platten with the cameras mounted to the platten - but I don't have any pictures posted yet. I think it is that famous artist (Dionavinci) in my family tree making me not want to show my work until it is complete. :P

I went to my local hackerspace yesterday and they have a 3-D printer that looks reeeaaallllyyyy cool. Something like that could be used to create a build, but I think it would take a lot of time and not something that is readily accessible to the normal DIYer.

P.S. Daniel just posted a link to the NEWS section about some of the efforts in auto page turning/platten movement etc http://www.diybookscanner.org/news/?p=265
spamsickle

Post by spamsickle »

bookPanda wrote:Just wondering has anyone here attempted [...] a scanner that does not require a V-shaped glass to press against the pages but with other types of mechanisms to hold the pages down in place.
Does this count?
nm.jpg
nm.jpg (54.23 KiB) Viewed 9026 times
l.jpg
l.jpg (66.92 KiB) Viewed 9025 times
r.jpg
r.jpg (66.21 KiB) Viewed 9025 times
jesuzphreak

Post by jesuzphreak »

If you look at Scanrobot from traventus, it is the only large scale scanner that does not utilize camera mounts, what technology does it use? is it better than cameras?
There is a patent document available which describes how the Treventus scanner looks like inside. See the pdf attached or look for patent no. WO 2006/105568.

jesuzphreak
Attachments
Treventus-Patent-Buchscanner_WO2006105568A1.pdf
(1.52 MiB) Downloaded 651 times
bokks
E-book readers owned: Kindle
Number of books owned: 1000

Post by bokks »

Thanks for this document. I was able to get it translated into English. Here's the translated version.
Attachments
Treventus-Patent-Buchscanner_ENGLISH.pdf
(170.6 KiB) Downloaded 16 times