New 3D Scanner by HP

DIY Book Scanner Skunk Works. Share your crazy ideas and novel approaches. Home of the "3D structure of a book" thread.

Moderator: peterZ

darrinjk

New 3D Scanner by HP

Post by darrinjk »

Been following along on these forums for a while now, but haven't really had anything to contribute. I think that this, though, is worthy of mentioning.

I've got several connections with HP and they will soon be releasing a new 3D object scanner (as part of an AiO Laser Printer) that has its own lighting and 8mp camera. I've seen some output on this thing and the images look impressive. There's still a lot to be considered that we won't know until it's release, like how fast it snaps the shots, but the videos show the scanning process to be relatively fast. Anyway, I've included one video I found, I'd encourage you guys to look more into it and let me know what you think/whether it may be a viable solution.

the.traveller
E-book readers owned: Samsung Tab S
Number of books owned: 800

Re: New 3D Scanner by HP

Post by the.traveller »

Well looking to HP's own explanation here:
http://www.hp.com/canada/portal/hho/dig ... nning.html

it could be nice to use it for making scrapbooks. But for the application of scanning 2d paper, for me it doesn't give me an advantage over the scanners our community build.

There are not a lot of books in 3d and making a HDR photo I also can achieve by taking (at least) 2 pictures with different exposure. Because that is what I think is happening, the HP is making 3 pictures with -1, 0 and +1 exposure to make it a HDR picture.

HDR stands for High Dynamic Range.

You can try it with photoshop for instance. A lot of pictures of my covers are transformed with HDR, beside of the color correction I do.
darrinjk

Re: New 3D Scanner by HP

Post by darrinjk »

Good point. I'm also noticing now that it looks like the total area for shooting is relatively small.

Especially since you've got to buy an entire printer for this, it's obvious this won't be a good solution. I've still got hopes that someone will manufacture a successful product for book scanning, but even the ion booksaver which is designed specifically for book scanning seems like it will be a let-down.

I'll be happy if I can get this New Standard built :)