X200 usb scanner

DIY Book Scanner Skunk Works. Share your crazy ideas and novel approaches. Home of the "3D structure of a book" thread.

Moderator: peterZ

WmFS
E-book readers owned: Sony
Number of books owned: 4000

X200 usb scanner

Post by WmFS »

Has anybody heard anything about the X200 usb scanner -

http://www.lettouch.com/bussines/Mall/g ... px?gi=3167
Gado
Number of books owned: 0

Re: X200 usb scanner

Post by Gado »

BUMP.

No, haven't heard anything about this yet, but I'm intrigued. Portability's a huge asset to me... If for nothing else as a backup or for less critical preservation while traveling.

By the way, welcome to the forums! I suppose it's a little odd that I'm posting for the first time myself with such a message... I'm a long-time forum creeper and decided I should break the ice. School will be calming down in a month, so I hope to have a build to post soon.

Thanks for the link; I always appreciate seeing ideas I have yet to come across.
Cheers.
mjklin

Post by mjklin »

This looks promising. Two questions come to mind:

* It looks like you can use it without a PC, but is there a viewfinder of some kind to judge distance?
* Is the resolution (and lighting) of a high enough quality to capture both pages of an open book?

I would love to see this in action!
DrCheap
E-book readers owned: pdf
Number of books owned: 750

Post by DrCheap »

Looks like 5mp interlaced. I think the camera itself might only be 2mp. Small LED lights don't promise much lighting, especially with only 5v USB powering the lights.

The pricing is quite cheap, though.

My best estimate is that this is just a webcam on a fancy stand.