Simplifying 3D surface

DIY Book Scanner Skunk Works. Share your crazy ideas and novel approaches. Home of the "3D structure of a book" thread.

Moderator: peterZ

pav

Simplifying 3D surface

Post by pav »

Something I always thought obvious and stupid - partly because it is. But so am I. So, for the benefit of the members of the audience on my level I decided to try and discuss it. Sorry if someone else has already done that in a different thread.

So the thing is lot of people when reading a book hold it in such a way that the page they are reading is more flat ('straight') at the expense of the other open page being less flat (bent). When they finish reading this page (that would usually be the left page in latin alphabet books) and move to the second open page they change the way they hold it. Needles to say, if they were a scanner they would not mind reading odd pages first then changing the hold and reading even pages.

Depending on how stiff the book is taking a photo of the flatter page needs more or less dekeystoning but definitely less unwarping. Bound edge of the page tends to have less light. Altogether it kind of works and may be even could lead to an inexpensive turning-pages-device suggested by David.
bookhalfopened1.png
bookhalfopened1.png (27.1 KiB) Viewed 5389 times

In relation to the flipping BSF Auto Robot if you hold a book like in pictures (I hope attachments have made it) when flipping pages they seem to enjoy a moment of stability in a fairly straight state - when short age is close to vertical. They slow down/stop at this point.
bookhalfopened1f.png
bookhalfopened1f.png (22.93 KiB) Viewed 5389 times
bookhalfopened2c.png
bookhalfopened2c.png (25.23 KiB) Viewed 5389 times
Does anybody have a camera with a high speed but good resolution burst?
jck57

Re: Simplifying 3D surface

Post by jck57 »

Applying a similar idea could be a dependable way to pick pages for a non-3D scanner with a single-page platen. All the pages are held in a device that bends them back. A plastic hold-down is mechanically pulled back from the fanned pages slowly releasing one at a time. A page falls (possibly assisted by an air stream) and is flattened by the platen before being captured by the camera. After the odd pages are photographed the book is turned around and re-mounted to do the even pages. A proximity sensor tells the machine that a page has fallen so it can continue the mechanical cycle.