Implementing CIS Sensors (Reference to Google BookScanner)

DIY Book Scanner Skunk Works. Share your crazy ideas and novel approaches. Home of the "3D structure of a book" thread.

Moderator: peterZ

hasan
Number of books owned: 54

Implementing CIS Sensors (Reference to Google BookScanner)

Post by hasan »

I was pretty impressed with the Google Linear BookScanner, and tear out my Canon LiDE 110 scanner to check if I can interface it with my own stepper motors through arduino controller. When I took out the components, I come to know that this scanner wont work till it calibrates its defined white strips by moving once, and only then the scanner's status is ready to take scans. Due to this calibration, I dont find any solution to implement in the google book scanner :/

Can anyone help me how to add the scanning mechanism in the existing Google Linear BookScanner.
hasan

Re: Implementing CIS Sensors (Reference to Google BookScanne

Post by hasan »

Is there any body who is using contact image sensors to scan book pageS? I tear out one flatbed scanner and the scanner status never gets ready to start scan jobs. The motor keeps rotating for like all the time but if I fit all the components back into the housing, it works fine. Any idea what should I do?? How should I use it to my structure.
M@rtijn

Post by M@rtijn »

Hello Hassan,

They mention in the video starting from 9:45 min that the scan-bars and circuitry were just plugged together and that no extra electronics was needed for it to work, but then they used a Canon imageFORMULA DR-2510C Office Document Scanner.
scanner.png
scanner.png (902.29 KiB) Viewed 20780 times
documentation and software
hasan

Post by hasan »

I don't Canon ImageFormula scanner they used and its bit hard to find here in Pakistan. Thanks for your help bro. I used a single CIS, flatbed scanner, i.e. Canon LiDe 110, and it doesnt work out of the housing. Can you help me find some scanner circuitry easily available? and I'm trying a few more structures so I will need more of them in future. Finding number of Canon ImageFormula seems difficult.

Bytheway Martin, this picture is yours? did you able to successfully run the scanner without housing?
hasan

Post by hasan »

How does it work out of the housing? I mean, all we need to trigger the Start Scan button and the scanner starts reading data?
M@rtijn

Post by M@rtijn »

The image is from the GoogleTechTalks video starting at 10:12 min.

I don't have a flatbed scanner at my disposal to take apart and test.

Things to be considered for the canon lide to work without housing:

The scan-head contains microswitches for the buttons at the front of the scanner. When the head is anywhere else than in the extreme top position the buttons don't push against anything.
Also of interest is the calibrating strip, which is likely located underneath the glass plate. The head looks for that before starting a scan, so the scanner won't work without the strip in place.
hasan

Post by hasan »

Yes, everytime I turn on the Canon LIDE scanner, the scanner head moves from bottom to top looking for calibrating strips under the glass.
But I tried to the same without housing using the glass and white strips, and it doesn't work.
hasan

Post by hasan »

Do you have any solution in mind to add with the existing google linear bookscanner
cday
Number of books owned: 0

Post by cday »

Could it be that the CIS sensor is being saturated by ambient light as it is outside its normal enclosure, and so exposed to daylight or room lighting?
hasan

Post by hasan »

yes this can be one of the reasons