New Scanner Tech Watch Thread

DIY Book Scanner Skunk Works. Share your crazy ideas and novel approaches. Home of the "3D structure of a book" thread.

Moderator: peterZ

zenofal

Re: New Scanner Tech Watch Thread

Post by zenofal »

Any idea how good the scans actually are on that Ion scanner? I can't find the specs on the cameras anywhere. $150 is not bad at all.
freewheeling
E-book readers owned: Kindle
Number of books owned: 500

Post by freewheeling »

I'm going to speculate that the $140 price tag is sans camera.
deklerkt
E-book readers owned: BE Book White, iPad
Number of books owned: 2000

Post by deklerkt »

Actually 140 euros (which is $160 or so) includes the dual camera. But unfortunately, the results are not good. Washed out pictures and not very focussed. Which is a shame, as a low-level entry offer it could sell well. But camera is top priority, not end of the list (same as HiFi and speakers).
Stevo
Number of books owned: 0

Post by Stevo »

Has anybody seen this:
http://hacknmod.com/hack/how-to-pirate- ... n-seconds/

When I started thinking about scanning high speed a few hours ago, I thought of this exact idea, and here this guy's actually done it, even with the 3d page mapping.
aku

CzurTech Scanner Indiegogo

Post by aku »

tl;dr: Chinese Shenzhen Company, Indiegogo campaign, $200 early bird, $400 later. The demo (video) looks nice. Still, a gamble, as nobody has actual experience using it yet.

A few links
duerig
Number of books owned: 1000

Post by duerig »

I saw this. I am ignoring the hype about scanning a book in just five minutes and having perfect page curl correction.

But even so, it looks comparable to the overhead ScanSnap scanners for a lower price. The biggest risk is that they are now so far over their target that they will likely have to scramble to manifacture them all in a reasonable time. I always shy away from igg or Kickstarter campaigns that go way over target.

-D
aku

Post by aku »

Well, I am certainly waiting until David Rothman (the teleread writer) got his and posts an article about the experience. There are some references to going through a "Czur Cloud" and I want to know if that is optional or not. If it is mandatory, then that system is no-go for me.
duerig
Number of books owned: 1000

Post by duerig »

I absolutely agree about a cloud. It is probably optional, but more and more of these projects seem to make it mandatary (Glowforge is a recent example). I will be on the lookout to see what happens when people actually get their hands on one. Almost certainly most of the hype will turn out to be bogus. But even so, they might turn out to be great little scanners in their own right.

-D
aku

Post by aku »

I absolutely agree about a cloud. It is probably optional, but more and more of these projects seem to make it mandatary (Glowforge is a recent example).
To me it looks like this is the new form of vendor lock-in.
Almost certainly most of the hype will turn out to be bogus.
It usually is.
But even so, they might turn out to be great little scanners in their own right.
Also true.

Back to waiting.
aku

Post by aku »