post processing

Share your software workflow. Write up your tips and tricks on how to scan, digitize, OCR, and bind ebooks.

Moderator: peterZ

sixtysix

post processing

Post by sixtysix »

so you scan your four hundred page book and you have two hundred pages on each card, what is the best way of marrying these together?
spamsickle

Re: post processing

Post by spamsickle »

This should really be in "Software", but I'll tell you what I do.

I create a directory somewhere for the book. I make three subdirectories in the "book" directory - L, R, and Out.

I copy the images from the cards to L and R. I use ScanTailor to process each (L and R) separately, which by default creates one "out" subdirectory in L and one "out" subdirectory in R: \book\L\out and \book\R\out.

I use Nitro PDF to convert the Tiff images created by ScanTailor to PDFs in the same directory. Each TIFF image now has a PDF image in the same directory.

I now create a new subdirectory from the command prompt, in each of ScanTailor's "out" directories. I name these "Ant".
\book\L\out\Ant and \book\R\out\Ant. From the command prompt, I copy all the PDFs from "out" to "Ant":

copy *.pdf Ant

Now I use the Ant Renamer to rename the PDF files in the Ant directories to 4-digit "enumeration" names -- L starts with 0001.pdf, 0003.pdf, etc. and R starts with 0002.pdf, 0004.pdf, etc.

When the rename is done, I copy the files again from the Ant directories to the \book\Out directory. I cd to the \book\Out directory and use pdftk to combine them into the final book: pdftk 0*.pdf cat output book.pdf

Now, you may question all the various copies of things I create, but I've found through experience that I may miss a problem until the final book has been created, and some things (like the Ant Renamer) don't really go backwards readily.

When I'm finished, all I save is the final book and the original JPEGs, but having distinct intermediate steps can make it easier to recover things like (for example) one camera snaps a page while its counterpart does not, and I have to insert a page in the middle somewhere. While pdftk can do this in the final step, I find it's often easier to do it "upstream" and then follow the process by rote.

I'm sure other people do things differently, and you probably will too, but since you asked...
sixtysix

Post by sixtysix »

spamsickle
thanks-you are a mine of info
wels

Post by wels »

spamsickle, that's a great guide! Especially, for those who want to start with post processing for the first time. So, I created an article for it in the wiki, if it's ok for you. Feel free to further extend it, if you like.
DSpider

Post by DSpider »

Yes, it should be in the "Software" category.

I would use "Bulk Rename Utility". You simply right click the Left camera's folder, "Bulk rename here" and:

Do the same with the Right camera's folder, but this time you start with 1 instead of 2 but keep the increment set to "2" (so you'll rename them 1, 3, 5, 7, etc.).

PS: Don't let the complexity of the application scare you. You'll only need one or two features anyway.