Heavy Speckling

Share your software workflow. Write up your tips and tricks on how to scan, digitize, OCR, and bind ebooks.

Moderator: peterZ

Hasher

Heavy Speckling

Post by Hasher »

Hi all

Been scanning in microfilm but some have very heavy speckling. Beside cleaning the film beforehand does anyone have any advice for removing this post process. I have tried scan tailor and this has reduced it marginally .

Here is an example
http://williams.aero/Pics/biton0001D06.tif

Thanks for any help
Paul
cday
Number of books owned: 0

Re: Heavy Speckling

Post by cday »

If you scan in grayscale (or colour) can the noise be reduced using a level adjustment?

Alternatively, does your scanner interface provide a way of adjusting the theshold at which the image is binarised?

Upload an example grayscale scan if you wish...
rkomar
E-book readers owned: PRS-505, PocketBook 902, PRS-T1, PocketBook 623, PocketBook 840
Number of books owned: 3000

Post by rkomar »

I find that it helps to use an adaptive binarization algorithm in such cases. If your scanner doesn't provide such, scan the images in grayscale and apply that binarization using software afterwards.
b0bcat
Number of books owned: 0

Post by b0bcat »

The specimen tif supplied is b&w 2-colors and although 300dpi, I noticed is either insufficiently defined and/or too over-exposed to capture small typeface print.

If possible, the quickest route would seem to be re-scanning in greyscale at a suitable dpi, maybe say, 400, and adjusting the scanner optimally as suggested by others above, including as to brightness.