Daniel Reetz, the founder of the DIY Book Scanner community, has recently started making videos of prototyping and shop tips. If you are tinkering with a book scanner (or any other project) in your home shop, these tips will come in handy. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn0gq8 ... g_8K1nfInQ

Examples from my postprocessor software

Share your software workflow. Write up your tips and tricks on how to scan, digitize, OCR, and bind ebooks.
rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Re: Examples from my postprocessor software

Post by rob » 11 Jun 2009, 15:21

I wouldn't pass up the help :)

Right now I'm working on the base image storage format. I'm going to use Leptonica's format rather than, say, PlanarImage, because Leptonica's routines are optimized for Leptonica's image format. After that, each image processing routine is independent, so at that point I can send out the base source code and ask you to work on some of the functions.

The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.

rob

Post by rob » 17 Jun 2009, 17:42

I'm about 50% done in converting my software over to 100% platform independent. Right now I'm making sure the Java port of Leptonica is bug-for-bug compatible with the C version.
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.

you1

Post by you1 » 17 Jun 2009, 19:37

Great...
We're looking forward to it :)

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz » 18 Jun 2009, 11:15

You know, the more I think about your procedure, the more I love it. It totally converts a flaw of the scanner (the facing page reflection) into utility. Well done.

rob

Post by rob » 23 Jun 2009, 18:50

A status update: I'm probably about 95% done with porting the Leptonica routines -- I'm only porting those routines that my software uses. That's about 8,000 lines of code. I'm also about 90% complete with regression tests, to make sure my Java version does exactly the same thing as Leptonica.

While I was regression testing, I found a bug in Leptonica! So I fixed that bug in the Java version, and logged a bug report against Leptonica.

The author of Leptonica claims that Leptonica is "regression tested" (see ref, section "Implementation Characteristics"). When I first started the porting effort, I figured that I would use those regression tests against my code. Well, I couldn't find even a hint of any test cases in the source distribution for Leptonica. So I think maybe the author's idea and my idea of regression testing is different. (Hint: my idea is the right one ;) )

By the way, in the same section, the author claims Leptonica is thread-safe. BZZZT! I found him using a non-const global variable, so strike two.

Karyudo
E-book readers owned: iPod Touch
Number of books owned: 0

Post by Karyudo » 23 Jun 2009, 18:59

"My cat's breath smells like cat food!"

I dunno what you just said, really, but I'm sure glad this forum exists to let untalented people like me have access to the efforts of the obvious giants in the emerging field of DIY book scanning and image processing.

I also enjoyed your previous wry description of what you're doing -- making the Java "bug for bug" compatible. Heh, heh.

rob

Post by rob » 23 Jun 2009, 19:58

Ha ha, good Simpsons reference.

So anyway, apparently there are some regression tests, but not nearly as low-level as I needed.

spamsickle

Post by spamsickle » 23 Jun 2009, 22:13

Glad I could help!

Well, actually, sorry I didn't do squat after I offered to help. I got CYGWIN installed (haven't used it in about a decade), and compiled Leptonica, then got the JAI and started looking at it...

And then my attention wandered...

Yesterday, I stumbled across my "Image Processing in Java" book by Doug Lyon out in the garage, and felt guilty.

Today, I don't feel so guilty. Glad you managed to soldier on without me, and I look forward to being a beta tester.

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz » 14 Jul 2009, 23:53

In actuality, there is 400W of halogen light streaming onto the page.
Rob, would you post a picture of your 400 Watts of Awesome lighting system please?