bookDisplay: virtual bookshelf software

General discussion about software packages and releases, new software you've found, and threads by programmers and script writers.

Moderator: peterZ

o3h1p

bookDisplay: virtual bookshelf software

Post by o3h1p »

I developed a program using php/mysql with a few ajax bells and whistles for taking your digital library and displaying cover images in a browsable--like a real bookshelf--and searchable--unlike a real bookshelf--fashion. There still is a lot to be done, and probably a few more bugs to squash, but the basic functionality is there. There are a few djvu/pdf coverflow-type browsing programs but here may be some differences with this one:

* live-search limiting
* easy access to the backend database
* use over intranet through a browser

The last one has pros and cons. If you don't properly manage your downloads (have a desktop filled with downloaded files rather than a scratch drive) or don't view your pdfs in your browser this setup might not be for you. I don't have any real instructions to get it setup, but I would be happy to to write some if anyone finds it useful. You will need a AMP (apache/mysql/php)-style setup (which can be installed pretty easily on many OSes these days: http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html)

You can download the source here:

https://github.com/dhwndk/bookDisplay

(released under GNU open source of course; feel free to edit the source and let me know what you fix/write correctly ;) )

SEARCH BY ISBN
isbnsearch.png
INSERT OTHER INFO
insertinfo.png
all other info is scraped from amazon

EDIT YOUR CHANGES
editinfo.png

DISPLAY PAGE
when you start typing at the top, the books displayed are limited by the search term
displaybooks.png
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: bookDisplay: virtual bookshelf software

Post by daniel_reetz »

WHOA! ... yes!!!
o3h1p

Re: bookDisplay: virtual bookshelf software

Post by o3h1p »

Thank you Daniel. Hopefully someone will find it useful.

updated code

It seemed like such a pain have to go and find an ISBN just to instert it into the database. You now can search by keywords and it will return the first 10 results, then you can just click on the correct book and add the extra information. The add-by-ISBN functionality is retained, but this probably saves me 30 seconds and about 20 independent interactions for each book insert.