Bindery Beta release

General discussion about software packages and releases, new software you've found, and threads by programmers and script writers.

Moderator: peterZ

Anonymous2

Bindery Beta release

Post by Anonymous2 »

I think it's time to bring Bindery out of the dark and make it a public beta.

To make DIY book binding a simpler process, I think it would be nice to give non-CLI people a chance to go and try it. I created Bindery a year ago for just that reason, but I haven't had time to work on it for a very long time.

I rewrote most of the application last weekend and I think it is beta-quality at this point.

Windows

For those using Windows, I have great news for you:
Windows.png
Windows.png (62.86 KiB) Viewed 12068 times
I've tortured my scripts for a few days now and I finally have a solid build process for Windows. Everything works with this binary except for PDF and PostScript binding, but that has been buggy for Linux as well. DjVu binding works perfectly on all platforms and I'll try iron out the binding bugs within the next day or two.

Downloading

You can grab the zipfile from here (it's around 16 MB): https://github.com/downloads/Blender3D/ ... dery24.zip

Just unzip it and run bindery.exe.

Any feedback would be nice.

Linux

For all the Linux users:.
More Progress.png
More Progress.png (56.14 KiB) Viewed 12066 times
You will need these packages to obtain and run it:
  • Git
  • Python 2.7
  • PyQt4
  • DjVuLibre
  • Possibly more?
If a binary isn't present, you will get an error message with the problematic command. Check if your distribution has a package, as some distributions (Ubuntu and Debian derivatives) don't have a few image encoders in their repos.

If you run Arch Linux like me, you're in luck, as I keep a Bindery package in the AUR:

Code: Select all

sudo packer -S bindery
If you run some other Linux distribution you'll have to use Git:

git clone git://github.com/Blender3D/Bindery.git bindery
And run it with the Makefile:

cd bindery
make

Mac OS X

I have no experience with Bindery on a Mac, but I do know that all of the software components should run on Mac OS X. The procedure should be similar to the steps used for Linux, if anyone's interested, and if you get any software errors, I will gladly try and fix them. I'd like to support as many operating systems as i can.

Feedback of any sort would be nice, as cowboy coding does have its downsides ;)
Last edited by Anonymous2 on 02 Nov 2011, 20:06, edited 2 times in total.
Anonymous2

Re: Bindery Beta release

Post by Anonymous2 »

A small update: I've implemented PDF binding with jbig2 and pdf.py.

The only problems with PDF binding is that it does not encode color images (everything is bitonal), and OCR doesn't work. DjVu works fine with both, though.

All the changes are available in the Git repo for Linux users.
Anonymous2

Post by Anonymous2 »

Sorry, it seems like I uploaded a broken binary for Windows.

Here's a (hopefully) working one: https://github.com/downloads/Blender3D/ ... dery24.zip

EDIT

It seems like the binaries I make only work on my computer. I'm still trying to figure out what the problem is, but for now, these Windows binaries aren't working. I'll hopefully have one ready by the weekend.

EDIT 2

The binary now works!
Last edited by Anonymous2 on 28 Oct 2011, 13:28, edited 2 times in total.
Tulon
Number of books owned: 0

Post by Tulon »

Anonymous2 wrote:It seems like the binaries I make only work on my computer. I'm still trying to figure out what the problem is, but for now, these Windows binaries aren't working. I'll hopefully have one ready by the weekend.
Missing DLLs? Does your build process involves using a C or C++ compiler? If so, which one are you using?
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.
Anonymous2

Post by Anonymous2 »

To tell you the truth, I'm not exactly sure. I'm "compiling" my Python scripts with PyInstaller, which bundles the Python interpreter, the required DLLs, Python modules, and a few more things into a ZIP file and magically transforms it into an exe file.

I'm just having problems with getting the executable to read/write to its current working directory, as that is where I store my icons and binary files (DjVuLibre, minidjvu, ImageMagick, jbig2, and a few more DLLs). It works perfectly on my Windows install when I compile it, so something must be referencing absolute paths.

I'll try to see what the problem is tomorrow when I have more time.
Anonymous2

Post by Anonymous2 »

I've fixed the problem. Relative paths don't work well with PyInstaller...

I swapped the binaries, so just re-download Bindery with the above link and everything should work fine. I tested Bindery on another Windows 7 computer without Python installed and everything worked, so I'm hoping things should work for every one else.

PDF binding is partially implemented. I'm using jbig2 for encoding, but everything is coming out bitonal. No OCR support for PDF either, so I'll hopefully sort these issues out in a week or so.

The only completely broken feature for Windows is PDF output, so I'll hopefully have that somewhat working in a few days.

EDIT

No I haven't. It turns out to be a DLL problem. I'm working on it!

EDIT 2

The problem is now fixed. I had to use yet another Python script freezer, as the one I was using (Py2exe) wasn't compatible with PyQt4's SVG module.
victoriaaustralia
E-book readers owned: newton
Number of books owned: 2

Post by victoriaaustralia »

I downloaded the second beta and opened is successfully, looks great.

unfortunately I could not get any .tiff files to open into a new project. (Vista).

Upon trying add pages to the big green arrow window, either by drag and drop or using the add files icon on the lower right, this error was in the log:

nameerror: global name 'BookListWidget item' is not defined.

Hoping this helps,

simon
Freeware Windows workflow in 2020
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3620
Anonymous2

Post by Anonymous2 »

This build should work. Sorry, I don't run Windows so I don't test my builds often.

One thing you might run into: PDF binding isn't fully supported. I'm working on using an encoder that produces really tiny PDFs (still larger than DjVu), and for now, it works well. But it encodes everything as bitonal (strictly black and white), so pictures don't look too great.

DjVu binding is fully functional and works better than PDF in terms of filesize. But not that many people use DjVu (such a shame).
victoriaaustralia
E-book readers owned: newton
Number of books owned: 2

Post by victoriaaustralia »

You might need a better tester who knows what the errors mean:

Bindery 25:
can add files to the green arrow section by drag and drop only, none of the browse buttons work (these did work in Bindery24). one needs to manually enter the location of files and output files.
Page preview does work well.
After adding 3 tiff files, selecting djvu then pressing start binding button (OCR not selected, encoding options all default , the start arrow changes to a red square but nothing further happens, nil djvu files are created.
Nothing appears in the debug log.

thank you for your work.

simon
Freeware Windows workflow in 2020
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3620
Anonymous2

Post by Anonymous2 »

Are you sure nothing appears in the console window (the debug log is currently turned off, so it shouldn't change)? It should log every single command that runs (and the corresponding errors).

I'll be re-installing Windows and testing the problems shortly. I'm not sure why these didn't happen to me while I was able to use a Windows machine, but it might be because you're running Vista (I was testing on 7).

Check back for a build later today, as I have some things to do before I get cracking on Bindery.

P.S. Thanks for the input. Out of the 30+ people that downloaded the zipfiles, you're the only one who actually told me what the problems were.