gphoto2 for windows (v2.4.13)

General discussion about software packages and releases, new software you've found, and threads by programmers and script writers.

Moderator: peterZ

og200
E-book readers owned: Kindle
Number of books owned: 2000

gphoto2 for windows (v2.4.13)

Post by og200 »

I haven't seen a Windows build of gphoto2 around on the net and, having just built myself a copy in cygwin, I thought some people on here interested in tethered shooting might like a copy (I know it gets mentioned regularly on this board and that a few builds are using it on Linux).

UPDATE 4/11/2012: I put in a patch to fix an issue with the usb drivers that prevented multiple cameras from working on Windows. Please download the latest version from my Google Code page:

http://code.google.com/p/scan-manager/downloads/list.

This is built using libusb-win32 so you'll need to install a special driver for each USB camera you want to use with it (and remove the driver if you want to use it with other software). Download the latest binary version of libusb-win32 from here http://sourceforge.net/projects/libusb-win32/, unzip it somewhere, and run ./bin/inf-wizard.exe, select your camera and when you're finished click the "Install" button. You can roll back the drivers for you camera if you no longer want to use it with gphoto2 by using the Device Manager on Windows (see Control Panel -> System).

You also need to tell gphoto2 where its camera and port libraries are. From a Windows command prompt in the directory that contains gphoto2.exe do:

Code: Select all

set CAMLIBS=./camlibs
set IOLIBS=./iolibs
gphoto2.exe
I'm also working on intergrating libgphoto2 into my scanmanager app http://www.diybookscanner.org/forum/vie ... =20&t=2520 which will put a nice GUI on it.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: gphoto2 for windows (v2.4.13)

Post by daniel_reetz »

Thanks for putting the work into this and for sharing it here. Let me know if you have any trouble hosting software on the board or want updates to this post after the edit window closes.
og200

Post by og200 »

A new version of gphoto, 2.4.14 is out; I've put up a new build on the google code site here.

Don't foget to install your libusb-win32 drivers (see above)!
p2m
Number of books owned: 0

Post by p2m »

hello og200,

somehow I have problems with the installation.
Unfortunately, my English is not very good, so I also use a translator.

You can make the installation a couple of pictures?

Perhaps this would be easy and I could see, woe to me is the problem.

Thank you
Andreas
og200

Post by og200 »

p2m wrote:You can make the installation a couple of pictures?
Here's a slightly more detailed set of instructions:

1. Download the libusb-win32 binaries and unzip them (it doesn't matter where you put them)

The project homepage is here. The latest release at time of writing is libusb-win32-bin-1.2.6.0.zip here.

2. Install a driver for your camera. Assuming you unzipped libsub-win32 into c:\, run c:\libusb-win32-bin-1.2.6.0\bin\inf-wizard.exe and go through this process to set up a libusb driver for your camera. You may need to uninstall these drivers to use your manufacturuer's camera software.
Installing a camera driver
Installing a camera driver
screenshot.jpg (73.13 KiB) Viewed 39007 times
3. Unzip my gphoto build file somewhere on your pc. (The latest zip is gphoto-2.4.14-win32-build2.zip, here.)

4. At a Windows command prompt, run "gphoto2.bat --help" from the directory into which you unzipped the build. Have a look at the gphoto2 documentation for more information on how to use gphoto.
cgott4242
Number of books owned: 100

Post by cgott4242 »

I installed this and it works fine, however my camera doesn't work under CHDK PTP
is there something that I need to do (someone mentioned unmounting- but I'm not sure how)
any help is appreciated.
thx
bobbob
Number of books owned: 0

Post by bobbob »

I realise it's a bit late in the day, but I wonder if you have an up-to-date version of this? your installation instructions worked fine, but cygwin failed due to being unable to compute FAST_CWD pointer.
Thanks