Daniel Reetz, the founder of the DIY Book Scanner community, has recently started making videos of prototyping and shop tips. If you are tinkering with a book scanner (or any other project) in your home shop, these tips will come in handy. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn0gq8 ... g_8K1nfInQ

New Scanning Software - YASW

General discussion about software packages and releases, new software you've found, and threads by programmers and script writers.
tibob
E-book readers owned: None
Number of books owned: 100

Re: New Scanning Software - YASW

Post by tibob » 27 May 2013, 14:44

The image is decompressed from jpeg, goes thought every filter and then the jpeg transformation is done only at the end. So the cropping filter itself is lossless (it gets an uncompressed image and produces an uncompressed image, without dpi modification) but the last jpeg transformation is not.

Robert

spamsickle

Post by spamsickle » 28 May 2013, 06:51

Glad to see you back. The changes in 0.3 make the program much easier to use. I especially like the capability to use the CNTL key to move the crop window.

The PDF export is still exporting all the Left images then all the Right, rather than interleaving them.

I know "Apply to all images" says "Apply to all images" but it still seems to me that if I'm working in the Left column, I should only modify the parameters for images in the left column. Maybe "Apply to all left images" and "Apply to all right images" could be added as options, though it doesn't seem to me that "Apply to all images" would ever be the behavior you'd actually want. The reason this is an issue for me is that I find it easier to set my keystoning parameters on the front cover for the right column and the back cover for the left column, and apply both selections to the whole column. I happened to do the right column first, with "Apply to all following images", but then that was reset when I went to the left column and tried "Apply to all images" thinking it would be the equivalent of an "Apply to all previous images". Not a real big deal, since I can do left column followed by right column like normal people do, but I really do think that "Rotate counter-clockwise" is something I want to do only to Column Left, without "Rotate clockwise" twice to then set Column Right upright.

An excellent tool, can't wait to try running the JPEGs through Scan Tailor and see what's new in that program.

pablitoclavito
E-book readers owned: Iliad
Number of books owned: 200

Post by pablitoclavito » 28 May 2013, 08:32

tibob wrote:The image is decompressed from jpeg, goes thought every filter and then the jpeg transformation is done only at the end. So the cropping filter itself is lossless (it gets an uncompressed image and produces an uncompressed image, without dpi modification) but the last jpeg transformation is not.

Robert
OK, I did a quick comparison between the original and the cropped jpeg (zooming into the same area) and some pixels were different but quite similar to me.
Thank you.

tibob

Post by tibob » 28 May 2013, 15:16

spamsickle wrote: The PDF export is still exporting all the Left images then all the Right, rather than interleaving them.
I created a ticket and will correct this for release 0.4. The pdf export is still very alpha, I think I wil have to bind an external library as Qt does not give enougth options. But this is for a later release.
spamsickle wrote: I know "Apply to all images" says "Apply to all images" but it still seems to me that if I'm working in the Left column, I should only modify the parameters for images in the left column. Maybe "Apply to all left images" and "Apply to all right images" could be added as options, though it doesn't seem to me that "Apply to all images" would ever be the behavior you'd actually want. The reason this is an issue for me is that I find it easier to set my keystoning parameters on the front cover for the right column and the back cover for the left column, and apply both selections to the whole column. I happened to do the right column first, with "Apply to all following images", but then that was reset when I went to the left column and tried "Apply to all images" thinking it would be the equivalent of an "Apply to all previous images". Not a real big deal, since I can do left column followed by right column like normal people do, but I really do think that "Rotate counter-clockwise" is something I want to do only to Column Left, without "Rotate clockwise" twice to then set Column Right upright.
Already corrected, this will be included in release 0.4.
spamsickle wrote: An excellent tool, can't wait to try running the JPEGs through Scan Tailor and see what's new in that program.
Thank you!

spamsickle

Post by spamsickle » 28 May 2013, 16:04

BTW, while this is running I get a stream of

(yasw:27663): GVFS-RemoteVolumeMonitor-WARNING **: cannot connect to the session bus: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

on the console. Any idea what that's about?

tibob

Post by tibob » 28 May 2013, 18:31

spamsickle wrote:BTW, while this is running I get a stream of

(yasw:27663): GVFS-RemoteVolumeMonitor-WARNING **: cannot connect to the session bus: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

on the console. Any idea what that's about?
I've got no Idea. GVFS is GTK/Gnome, YASW is developped in pure Qt. Looks like you are under gnome and while accessing to a file or browsing your hard drive, Qt triggers GVFS in some way.

tibob

Post by tibob » 31 May 2013, 18:17

I just released a new version with fixes and features. Here is the changelog:
20130601; YASW 0.4
- Fixed Ticket #2 (Image order not retained when project is reloaded.)
- Fixed Ticket #1 (Display FileName instead of BaseName in the image list)
- Fixed Ticket #3 (Propagate settings to all images for one side)
- Added a background color (configurable) for the filter widgets.
- Fixed Ticket #11 (Do not interleave pages in PDF Export)
- Scaling filter
- Improve PDF Export (a lot!)

There is still a lot to do, but I am quite pleased with the progress in one week. I think the pdf export can seriously be used now. I'm not aware of a way to change the image compression in PDF Files generated by Qt, so if this is a problem, there will need to change the library for PDF. But for now, it sould be okay (I have other priorities regarding YASW).

Robert

spamsickle

Post by spamsickle » 02 Jun 2013, 15:29

It looks good. I downloaded the Windows binary, and the PDF export is keeping pages in the correct order.

Ideally, I'd like the "apply to" actions to be independent in each successive filter. I changed the "apply to" for the new "scale" filter to "everything on this side" so I could make the output pages the same size after cropping, and it looks like that backed up and changed the dekeystoning and cropping filters as well, which I'd hoped to be done with. Since you say there's still much to do, maybe that's already on the "to do" list.

Still, it's usable and useful as it is, so thank you for the effort and thank you for sharing it here. I look forward to seeing what direction you take it in. Maybe histogram equalization/threshholding? I should probably stop suggesting things and roll up my sleeves, since there's already such a good base provided.

tibob

Post by tibob » 03 Jun 2013, 15:35

spamsickle wrote: Ideally, I'd like the "apply to" actions to be independent in each successive filter. I changed the "apply to" for the new "scale" filter to "everything on this side" so I could make the output pages the same size after cropping, and it looks like that backed up and changed the dekeystoning and cropping filters as well, which I'd hoped to be done with. Since you say there's still much to do, maybe that's already on the "to do" list.
I do agree. This is a point which disturbed me (I had the same experience as you discribed) and I was not sure how to solve this. I think I will change the behaviour as you said. What do you think? should I save the "apply to" settings for each filter, so that (exemple) when I go back from a filter with "apply to all", it automaticly reverts to "apply to all folowing images"?
spamsickle wrote: Still, it's usable and useful as it is, so thank you for the effort and thank you for sharing it here. I look forward to seeing what direction you take it in. Maybe histogram equalization/threshholding? I should probably stop suggesting things and roll up my sleeves, since there's already such a good base provided.
Wishes are always welcome. I have my own "roadmap" but I'm very happy to have users so I try to consider your wishes. I do not have a lot of free time for YASW, so I have to choose between the most usefull features. If you want to be sure I do not forget something, you can fill a (on many) ticket (Milestone= wishlist) at https://sourceforge.net/p/yascanw/tickets/ .

tibob

Post by tibob » 29 Jun 2013, 16:19

I've just release YASW 0.5. You can download it on sourceforge: https://sourceforge.net/projects/yascan ... ASW%200.5/

Have fun ;-)

tibob