HOW TO USE YASW - an illustrated manual

General discussion about software packages and releases, new software you've found, and threads by programmers and script writers.

Moderator: peterZ

davidlandin
E-book readers owned: kindle
Number of books owned: 0

HOW TO USE YASW - an illustrated manual

Post by davidlandin »

I've written an illustrated manual to show how to use the excellent YASW.exe program for post-processing page images.

If you are interested here is the link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7STuk ... sp=sharing

David Landin
tibob
E-book readers owned: None
Number of books owned: 100

Re: HOW TO USE YASW - an illustrated manual

Post by tibob »

Hey David,

thank you for documenting YASW :-)

Would you agree to upload the manual to the YASW sourceforge page?

Robert
davidlandin

Post by davidlandin »

Hi Robert

I would be very happy for the YASW manual to go on the Source forge site. But I am not sure how to upload it. :?: Could you do this for me please?

Also I wonder if you might be able to take the YASW output one further step by adjusting the gamma settings to provide a crisp black and white image of the text. ScanTailor does this, and gives very clear text output. i think this is the one BIG wish I would have for YASW.

Well done on such an excellent programme! I am going to download and try your latest version today.

David Landin
davidlandin

Post by davidlandin »

Hi Robert

I've just tried the new YASW. Have you changed the thickness of the line for marking out the keystone corrections and the page boundaries?? It seems VERY thin now, and I can hardkly see it. Can you make it a little wider like 2 pixels instead of one or something a bit wider. I just checked the earlier version of YASW and it is wider/thicker and it is much more visible.

David Landin
tibob
E-book readers owned: None
Number of books owned: 100

Post by tibob »

davidlandin wrote: I would be very happy for the YASW manual to go on the Source forge site. But I am not sure how to upload it. :?: Could you do this for me please?
=> Done, thanks again.
davidlandin wrote: Also I wonder if you might be able to take the YASW output one further step by adjusting the gamma settings to provide a crisp black and white image of the text. ScanTailor does this, and gives very clear text output. i think this is the one BIG wish I would have for YASW.
I've already begun for next release 0.7. But for now this is only a white balance feature which is better than nothing but not very helpfull. I'm folowing the thread about binarisation (http://www.diybookscanner.org/forum/vie ... =17&t=3109 and want to implement at least one of the algorithm. This will take some time as I am new to the subject.)
davidlandin wrote: I've just tried the new YASW. Have you changed the thickness of the line for marking out the keystone corrections and the page boundaries?? It seems VERY thin now, and I can hardkly see it. Can you make it a little wider like 2 pixels instead of one or something a bit wider. I just checked the earlier version of YASW and it is wider/thicker and it is much more visible.
Yes, I did noticed too, allready openend a Ticket for that (https://sourceforge.net/p/yascanw/tickets/33/). I thought this was allready in 0.5, but if you did noticed to, this has probably something to do with the new Qt. I will (try to) correct it for 0.7.
davidlandin wrote: Well done on such an excellent programme! I am going to download and try your latest version today.
Thank you for wour feedback ;-)

Robert