New software in progress: ArcheScan

General discussion about software packages and releases, new software you've found, and threads by programmers and script writers.

Moderator: peterZ

Arche
E-book readers owned: 1
Number of books owned: 10000

New software in progress: ArcheScan

Post by Arche »

Hi folks!

I've asked earlier for advice on attaching canon SLR cameras for scanning and the answer was pretty empty. Tried some development myself but not too successfully.
So now I've taken on a humanitarian project - I'm paying to have a capable program made to get the job done fluently.
The first objective is to get the pictures into the computer, cropped and prepared for turning into searchable pdf's with adobe clearscan. When that's functional, more will follow.
Neat GUI with bulk/individual cropping area and picture settings will be implemented. Keystoning will not be there in the beginning as my system does not need it.
Written in C++, currently for linux, but windows port is also planned. Support for USB trigger will be there too. My primary cameras are 2 x EOS600D for now and thus the main aim is to get these moving.
But the camera control module is quite flexible (in order to accommodate different camera control frameworks for different OS'es) so adding other cameras won't be too hard.

However, having a software written is no small task - neither in the sense of planning and optimising the requirements nor monetarily.
So if anybody here wants to share ideas how to make it better or how to prioritise the tasks then it would be most welcome.
Even more so if somebody would be interested in chipping in for some of the €2000 estimated fee for the first version of the app.
I plan to make it available for free for at least personal and non-profit purposes

Cheers!
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: New software in progress: ArcheScan

Post by daniel_reetz »

Hey Arche,

Have you looked at using Spreads with the Gphoto2 plugin? Spreads implements most of the features you've mentioned that belong in the capture stage, and the Gphoto2 code handles talking to different professional cameras and works with most Canons.

Software has always been a bit of a pain point on these scanners, and I don't want to deter you from going your own way, but so much of what you want is already in Spreads - your cost could be lower (if you find the gphoto2 code unsatisfactory, you could put some fraction of that money toward fixing it, for example).

Regardless, please keep us up-to-date on your progress... it's always exciting to see a new software package come to life.