HOMER installer no longer working?

General discussion about software packages and releases, new software you've found, and threads by programmers and script writers.

Moderator: peterZ

victoriaaustralia
E-book readers owned: newton
Number of books owned: 2

HOMER installer no longer working?

Post by victoriaaustralia »

Hello Bookscannerians. I love Homer, it has previously just worked so well for having a simple interface to allow use of pdfbeads for tiny pdf output files. However over the last three months I have tried the installer package on one Mac and three PC computers without getting the program to work. The failure is in the last stage of compling the TIF files into pdfbeads.

Has anyone else had this difficulty? I wonder if when the installer is unpacking all the elements that the pdfbeads module is lost or damaged?
Freeware Windows workflow in 2020
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3620
ken_grunke
Number of books owned: 100

Re: HOMER installer no longer working?

Post by ken_grunke »

I see this on Homer's front page:
Announcement

19/11/2012

Dear Homer users, we are no longer able to maintain the Homer script for future Windows and Mac OS X updates, or for different platforms (eg, Linux). However, since this is an open project, we welcome you all to participate and help updating the script. You are also welcome to participate at the DIY Book Scanner Forum: http://diybookscanner.org/forum/
I have just now successfully installed the whole package in the Homer script to my W7 laptop, but haven't been able to test it yet. I'm new to the bookscanner game, don't even have a good scanner built yet. I have a scanner setup cobbled up using an old enlarger stand, glass panes robbed from picture frames, and a cliplight to test with so hopefully I'll get around to testing Homer. I only have one camera so far so was quite happy to see this software. I'll give it a try over the next week.
victoriaaustralia
E-book readers owned: newton
Number of books owned: 2

Post by victoriaaustralia »

Well I have to retract. I have just installed Homer using the Homer1.0Beta1 on a restored Window 8 machine and it is working fine.
With my last laptop Homer was working and I installed a computer game and Homer ceased working after this. There is obviously interaction going on with some programs.
Freeware Windows workflow in 2020
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3620
mariareese
E-book readers owned: None
Number of books owned: 0

Post by mariareese »

I was also facing the same problem, however; I am using win 10.. :(