Re-typeset application

General discussion about software packages and releases, new software you've found, and threads by programmers and script writers.

Moderator: peterZ

piotr.mt.mika
E-book readers owned: kindle
Number of books owned: 99

Re-typeset application

Post by piotr.mt.mika »

Hello,
I'd like to present my simple application designed to convert scanned books' images for e-book readers.
I think that you find it usefull. Please visit webpage https://freeshell.de/~ja/re-typeset/ .

Short about application:
Its main goal is to provide possibility of reading scanned books at e-book reader with small screen.
This software re-typesets scanned pages to smaller size without changing font size. Words are found on page and placed at new, smaller image with preserved paragraphs, page numbers, headers etc.

All comments are welcome.
dtic

Re: Re-typeset application

Post by dtic »

Nice, I'll try this program. :) I really like how the image is moved to the next page in one of the examples on the website. At first glance it seems to have some similarities with the application K2pdfopt , http://www.willus.com/k2pdfopt/ . Last time I used k2pdfopt I had some problems with text being cut off so good to see more applications of that kind. Are you guys familiar with that other program and if so can you describe a bit more in what ways Re-typeset is similar or different to it.
piotr.mt.mika
E-book readers owned: kindle
Number of books owned: 99

Post by piotr.mt.mika »

When I started work for my masters thesis I did small (and now I see that not sufficient) research and found that my idea is some kind of innovative.
Nevertheless my core idea was not to make any OCR operations and base only on positions and relations between objects.
I wanted to provide possibility of smooth reading so there shouldn't be headers or page numbers mixed with text and divided words which are not joined.
On the other hand I used ScanTailor for prepare images and KCC to prepare kindle file so my application does only re-typeset.

If somebody will be interested in algorithm I can translate parts of masters thesis to english (or send polish version) and provide more documentation.
myfreeocr
Number of books owned: 0

Post by myfreeocr »

This is very useful for small screen devices, It is much similar to the Reader mode Of Internet Explorer 11 For windows phone. It makes the text readable while preserving the formatting and Images.