Daniel Reetz, the founder of the DIY Book Scanner community, has recently started making videos of prototyping and shop tips. If you are tinkering with a book scanner (or any other project) in your home shop, these tips will come in handy. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn0gq8 ... g_8K1nfInQ

jpgs on Photoviewer

General discussion about software packages and releases, new software you've found, and threads by programmers and script writers.
George

jpgs on Photoviewer

Post by George » 09 Mar 2010, 12:45

Hi all,
I'm new here and excited about the possibilities. I have read quite a bit and get the impression that most folks are ebook reader centric here. Being cheap, and ebookreaderless, I am wondering if it is realistic to build simple scanner hardware like many of the projects described here and then rather than do all the OCR, simply use the original image files and view them on a photoviewer. I have a Photoshare 7XL (7 inch diagonal decent res screen) I bought new for $38. It takes sd cards... a 4 gig sd card is only $12-15 and can hold a couple thousand 1.8 megapixel images. In a very simple experiment with a simple photo of a page, it appears that it would be very legible. This is memory inefficient, but memory is getting pretty cheap nowadays and if I just saved $200 - $300 by not buying a ebook reader, I can afford several sd cards...
Anyway, anybody doing this?

rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Re: jpgs on Photoviewer

Post by rob » 09 Mar 2010, 17:05

Hi George --

Yes, the images are readable straight from the camera. The problem is that they aren't very nice to look at. The goal we're going for is to have a nice, clean, aesthetically pleasing page. Whether that page is on an ereader or not doesn't really matter to us, although some of us want PDFs, some want DJVUs, some want ePub, some want HTML.

But it is definitely possible to just look at the raw images of pages and read them.

--Rob
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz » 09 Mar 2010, 17:39

Rob has it. Though a couple of our most-active members have ereaders, actually I think most are reading on their computers in all kinds of formats.

Personally, I won a Kindle, but sold it to one of the members of this forum because I didn't like it much and needed the money. My ebook reader is my phone or whatever computer I'm on. Sometimes I even read the plain images as you suggest -- with certain books, I find it more pleasing than the processed stuff.

So yeah, you can definitely go that way, and it will work fine. I encourage you to build your own scanner as soon as possible. It's fun, and we have a huge support community here.

And anyway, in just a short while, ebook readers will be as cheap as your photoframe. There should be a glut of $100 readers flooding the market in just a year or so.

George

Post by George » 10 Mar 2010, 08:07

I will definitely build a scanner soon. The possibility that has me most interested is - to scan the kid's textbooks in every year as they start school so that they can leave the books at school - this will save their backs and also eliminate my wife and I driving them back to pick up books that they forgot. That, followed closely by allowing more than one person to contemporaneously read a popular book - we are a family of readers and when we are all reading a popular series like Harry Potter or other, it is tedious to take turns.
Thanks for the encouragement!
One other thing, I have mostly been focusing on the hardware 'cause I am a maker... is the software side mostly MSWindows centric? I'm using Mac and Linux....
George

rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Post by rob » 10 Mar 2010, 10:30

Scan Tailor is based on QT, so will work on any Linux or Mac system. I believe it also works for Windows. Various other software is Java based, so it will run anywhere.
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.