Pi Scan -- Testers Needed

General discussion about software packages and releases, new software you've found, and threads by programmers and script writers.

Moderator: peterZ

Merlin
Number of books owned: 110

Re: Pi Scan -- Testers Needed

Post by Merlin »

Hi duerig,
i"m working on a ZineScanner and my idea was to use two IXUS 160 and a RaspberryPi 2 with Pi Scan. Actually Pi scan is crashing on capturing, see debug.zip. Do you have an idea whats going wrong?

It would be really great to get this problem solved.
debug.zip
(13.34 MiB) Downloaded 358 times
duerig
Number of books owned: 1000

Post by duerig »

Merlin, Are you sure that you have a Raspberry Pi 2? The debug log shows that a memory error is happening (as in out of memory). And the only other instance of this happening was when somebody tried to run it on one of the older Raspberry Pi models. Older Raspberry Pi models have only 512 MB of memory while Pi Scan needs the 1 GB of memory in the Raspberry Pi 2.

Also, to close the book on dnwest's issue, it turned out that CHDK wasn't actually running on the cameras. The SD cards he used weren't locked and so the cameras were just starting normally without CHDK even though he had the cards with CHDK software in the cameras. So when Pi Scan tried to connect and send commands, the camera didn't like it.

-D
dmekonnen
E-book readers owned: Kindle, Kindle Paperwhite
Number of books owned: 500

Post by dmekonnen »

Good Morning,

I was happy to run into the release of the pi-scan 1.0 and the new images which worked just fine for me (basic use so far). I would like to be able to install Pi Scan on an existing Raspian Jessie system and gave it a shot by installing the dependencies as follows:

% apt-get install python-dev
% pip install Cython
% pip install kivy
% apt-get install liblua5.1-0-dev
% pip install lupa --install-option='--no-luajit'
% git clone https://github.com/jbaiter/chdkptp.py.git
% cd /home/pi/chdkptp.py/
% python setup.py install

This is where I bailed out, the chdkptp.py setup.py script wanted to first patch files from a chdkptp project, and was looking for the Makefile and chdkptp.c, etc to update. Before chasing it further I thought to post here to learn if I was making the process more difficult than it should be? Is there a simpler way? What additional dependencies lie ahead?

thanks!

-Daniel
duerig

Post by duerig »

I've pushed up a rough WIP of my current build scripts. See:

https://github.com/Tenrec-Builders/pi-s ... aster/make

I'm also using a slightly modified forck of chdkptp.py at:

https://github.com/duerig/chdkptp.py

There are a couple of bug fixes that I need to push up to Johannes at some point.

There are four scripts:

base.sh which installs dependencies (on a Raspbian Lite image)
base-jail.sh which is a subroutine of base.sh that runs in the image with chroot
install.sh which does the actual installation of the Pi Scan software and configuration (much faster than re-installing all dependencies every time)
install-jail.sh which is a subroutine of install.sh that runs in the image with chroot

By poking through those scripts, you should be able to install the pieces that you want. If you are running your own image, then you probably don't want to make the filesystem readonly and have Pi Scan boot at startup for example. Feel free to ask any questions here or in email if you have them.

-D
Merlin
Number of books owned: 110

Post by Merlin »

Hi duerig,
you were right - I thought it was a Raspberry 2 but it wasn't... Now I tried the new PiScan 1.0 with a Raspberry 3 and all worked fine and fast.

Thank you so much!

I will post a foto of the working machine when we are ready.
duerig wrote:Merlin, Are you sure that you have a Raspberry Pi 2? The debug log shows that a memory error is happening (as in out of memory). And the only other instance of this happening was when somebody tried to run it on one of the older Raspberry Pi models. Older Raspberry Pi models have only 512 MB of memory while Pi Scan needs the 1 GB of memory in the Raspberry Pi 2.

Also, to close the book on dnwest's issue, it turned out that CHDK wasn't actually running on the cameras. The SD cards he used weren't locked and so the cameras were just starting normally without CHDK even though he had the cards with CHDK software in the cameras. So when Pi Scan tried to connect and send commands, the camera didn't like it.

-D
steinbeck
Number of books owned: 1100

Post by steinbeck »

Downloaded and installed PI Scan 1.0 today.
Worked very well with my two Canon SX50 HS on a Raspberry PI 2.
One Camera went out of business (did not sent image information) once and but unplugging its USB helped and it worked flawlessly ever after.

Well done, Jonathan, and thanks a lot!!!

Kind regards,

Chris
Jules
E-book readers owned: ipad, kindle, kindle fire

Post by Jules »

Just finished my first book scanner set up and connected raspberry 3, pi-scan, and two ELPH 160s and got the same message.
duerig

Post by duerig »

I believe that I solved Jules' problem via email. Jules, if you weren't the one who emailed me around the same time, let me know.

For others, if you see a problem where the camera fails at the very first step (trying to enter 'rec' mode), here is what to look for:

First verify that the camera is actually running CHDK. If it is, you should be able to see a brief splash screen when the camera turns on.

Second, make sure that the camera isn't stuck in the screen for setting date and time. This screen pops up whenever the little battery for the clock runs out on the camera. To dismiss this screen, unplug the camera from the Pi, use the camera buttons to set the time how you would like, and then replug the camera into the Pi.

-Jonathon Duerig
jacoborlando
Number of books owned: 500

Post by jacoborlando »

Hi Jonathan!

I got a hackerspace scanner, and decided to kit it out with your suggested electronics/software package.

I'm running Pi Scan on a Raspberry Pi 3 with a Raspberry touchscreen, and it loads just fine on startup.

I went with 2x Canon Powershot A3300 IS cameras...and was able to get CHDK for each of them.

Pi Scan connects to both cameras, but then gives "Failed: Failed to prepare camera: Error while switching to record mode".

Can you please point me in the right direction? I think somehow the CHDK function is disabled when I plug in the USB cables, but i'm likely wrong...there are too many variables now for me to figure it out lol

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Jacob
+1 407-668-0040