Book Scanning SOftware for the our SUPREME idiot

General discussion about software packages and releases, new software you've found, and threads by programmers and script writers.

Moderator: peterZ

JoshuaScult

Book Scanning SOftware for the our SUPREME idiot

Post by JoshuaScult »

Hi friends! You probably guessed it, I am the SUPRIME idiot.

All I want is a application which will:

1) Install and run easy on Windows 7 x64

2) Take all the Jpeg High quality files that I scanned using my new toy snapscan sv600

3) Flatten the page, level the text optimize the scan near the binding, crop out the background, fingers etc.

4) output to PDF with lightning speed

PRICE IS NOT AN ISSUE

Totally automatic and just does its job

All the stuff I see is too complicated or too slow or JAVA etc (i don't need this on a smart phone for heaven sake!)

The software that comes with snap scan isn't working. It is buggy and will only apply changes (crops etc) to one page at a time. anybody else have this problem?)

Thank You

The Supreme Idiot
duerig
Number of books owned: 1000

Re: Book Scanning SOftware for the our SUPREME idiot

Post by duerig »

I don't think there is anything that is totally automatic. Your best bets might be some of the commercial programs. The free ones like Scan Tailor or Book Scan Wizard are a lot more hands-on than it sounds like you want.

A number of people in the forums swear by Abbyy Finereader and somebody recently posted about being happy with Omnipage. Both have free trials, so it might be worth it to check if they fit your needs.

Best of luck.

-D
The Purple Parrot
E-book readers owned: IPOD
Number of books owned: 5000

Post by The Purple Parrot »

I am experimenting with a program called "Page Improver"

see here:

http://www.4digitalbooks.com/_soft_imaget.html

I am happy price is not an option because it's only 3300 euros (I mean if this doesn't do the job what else is there?)

Anyone have experience with it?

Also is there a tutorial how to use Abby fine-reader specially for book scanning?

Thank You All

PP
sudha
Number of books owned: 0

Post by sudha »

Book Restorer or Limb image processing software both have geometric correction, finger masking and many other features.
Limb software is the advanced version of book restorer.
I have tried both. Since they are expensive, I didn't buy them. When the trial period was over, I got book restorer from the link below.
http://djvu-converter.narod.ru/

But limb has more functions than Book restorer.
Even I have scansnap sv 600 scanner. Only thing missing is the proper geometric correction in it. It doesn't flatten the pages properly. I hope they will improve the software in their next release.