This is all I need! Please advise!

General discussion about software packages and releases, new software you've found, and threads by programmers and script writers.

Moderator: peterZ

The Purple Parrot
E-book readers owned: IPOD
Number of books owned: 5000

This is all I need! Please advise!

Post by The Purple Parrot »

Dear Friends,

I have come to learn that Abbyy is excellent for post-processing book scans except for one thing: splitting the pages. It really sucks.

So can someone suggest a really good program that will simply take my images, split them like a genius and then save them again as images - which i can then bring into Abby and end there?

Thank You
intermediatic

Re: This is all I need! Please advise!

Post by intermediatic »

You could try Briss.

http://briss.sourceforge.net
The Purple Parrot

Thank You,
But I would like something that would automatically detect the page split. Any ideas?
duerig
Number of books owned: 1000

Post by duerig »

It isn't quite automatic, but you might have luck with BookCrop:

http://diybookscanner.org/forum/viewtop ... =20&t=2732

You drag one square for the left pages and one square for the right pages. And then it crops every page to that same square. You should be able to pick out the gutter easily from the composite image and just make a rectangle of the whole image except just one one side of the gutter.

-Jonathon Duerig
The Purple Parrot

Good Grief!!! It's 2016 and there still isn't a fully automatic page splitter???

The scanner I use at the library actually splits the images very well but if you choose that option it costs double the amount!!! So I am scanning both pages and then taking them home and splitting them, as i said with Abbyy and I am pretty disappointed.

Any better ideas?
duerig
Number of books owned: 1000

Post by duerig »

The automatic page splitters tend to be 99% solutions. You let them run and they figure out the split on 99% of the pages properly. And there are still enough misses that it is wise to still double check them. Howe line detection might detect some other vertical line and not the true gutter.

I tend to think that the real 100% solution is to embed a page spine indicator in the image while scanning. And then use a much more reliable detector of that indicator to split the pages. That is one of the projects I am working on. We'll see how it goes.

-D
BruceG
Number of books owned: 500

Post by BruceG »

Give yasw a go. Crop one side then the other. You will find info re use on this site plus a video if I remember right. Export to either JPG or PDF.
L.Willms
E-book readers owned: Tolino Shine

Post by L.Willms »

The Purple Parrot wrote:I have come to learn that Abbyy is excellent for post-processing book scans except for one thing: splitting the pages. It really sucks.
My experience is quite different.

But you may try ScanTailor, which does what you want. There is a section on this forum dedicated especially to ScanTailor
bubble.ou
Number of books owned: 0

Post by bubble.ou »

have you tried Abbyy's zonal OCR which can specify an area?
L.Willms
E-book readers owned: Tolino Shine

Post by L.Willms »

bubble.ou wrote: 29 Mar 2017, 05:55 have you tried Abbyy's zonal OCR which can specify an area?
I don't know if this question was directed to me, but I also do not know what is meant by ABBYY's "zonal OCR which can specify an area".

I do know, though, that I can specify different areas on the pages, and classify those as text, as table, or as image, and also as "background image". What I don't know, though, is if I can specify margins to reduce the area looked at by the OCR engine on all pages.