Trouble with make PDF from more then about 150 pages ScanTailor output

General discussion about software packages and releases, new software you've found, and threads by programmers and script writers.

Moderator: peterZ

bartek158
Number of books owned: 0

Trouble with make PDF from more then about 150 pages ScanTailor output

Post by bartek158 »

Hello
I use :
- "PDF-XChange abbyy 4.0 for abbyy" printer
- "PDF Architect" printer
- "PDF creator" printer

I am making pdf by marking all tif's ( ScanTailor out) ,right mouse button / print / chose one of option above and set the DPI the same like in tif's files. But Every time I try to "print" more than about 150 pages everything failur or some pages are blank. Whot can by reason ? I use AMD X4 3,7Ghz , 4GB RAM , Windows 10 32bit.
I check and RAM is not all in use , the processor also during progress. Whot can be reason of this problem ? How You make PDF from large amount of pages ?
Actually I have to divide all photos for fews part - about 100 in one folder , "Print pdf" separtetly , chceck all pdf becouse of sometimes blank pages occour and then if everything is ok I join all pdf in big one. It take a lot of time , more then book scanning :(
cday

Re: Trouble with make PDF from more then about 150 pages ScanTailor output

Post by cday »

If the PDF "printers" you are using are all 32-bit software, one possible explanation could be that the limit on memory that can be addressed by 32-bit applications is well below 4GB... The blank pages are unexplained though.

There is freeware software, both image editing software and dedicated PDF utilities, that can create multi-page PDF directly that you might try; I'm not sure what to recommend although other people may have suggestions.

Irfanview has a 64-bit version and can create multi-page PDF files using a plug-in, but I think there is possibly a page count limit on the plug-in used, something you would have to test. XnView in the original 'Classic' version is 32-bit software (and doesn't support Unicode, which might be a problem if your filenames and paths include foreign accents) but you could try it, and see if the blank page issue is resolved.

XnView MP (the latest version under development and with Unicode support) is available in a 64-bit version with a create multi-page PDF option in the Browser, but with the default settings it may be slow to start first time as it creates thumbnails for all image files. It could be worth a try in the absence of any other suggestions...
bartek158

Post by bartek158 »

Thanks for reply Cday. Whot will be better for TwoCamControl and CHDKPTP , WIN 10 64bit or WIN 7 64bit ?
cday

Post by cday »

bartek158 wrote:Thanks for reply Cday. Whot will be better for TwoCamControl and CHDKPTP , WIN 10 64bit or WIN 7 64bit ?
That's a question about TwoCamControl and CHDKPTP which I can't answer, rather than about your PDF problem above, that you would be better posting in another topic or starting a new thread to get an answer.

For your PDF problem, if you don't receive any better ideas, I would suggest downloading the freeware XnView MP 64-bit version from XnView and seeing if you can figure out and get the result you need, although you might need some support to set the compression used, for example.
L.Willms
E-book readers owned: Tolino Shine

Post by L.Willms »

bartek158 wrote: 21 Dec 2016, 17:10 Hello
I use :
- "PDF-XChange abbyy 4.0 for abbyy" printer
- "PDF Architect" printer
- "PDF creator" printer

I am making pdf by marking all tif's ( ScanTailor out) ,right mouse button / print
At least in the Pro version of Acrobat, one can use Acrobat itself to compose files into a PDF. These images can also be TIF or other image files.

I use Acrobat 8, which is part of "Creative Suite 2" (CS2) which was provided some years ago by Adobe to download free of charge, with a page with all the necessary product keys for installing and activating.

I don't know, though, if that is still available. You might search for it.