So long to Omnipage

General discussion about software packages and releases, new software you've found, and threads by programmers and script writers.

Moderator: peterZ

BillGill
E-book readers owned: Calibre, FBReader
Number of books owned: 7000

So long to Omnipage

Post by BillGill »

I have been using Omnipage 18 for OCR. But I just got a new computer with Windows 10 and Omnipage 18 doesn't work with Win 10. So I have switched to ABBYY Finereader. ABBYY seems to be working quite well. For one thing it has a better selection of saving options. The Omnipage didn't save to ODT files for Open Office Writer. I had to save it as an RTF file, then resave it as ODT. Not a big problem, but one less step along the way. ABBY also saves as epub. I probably won't use that function, since I like to do my proof reading/editing in a word processor and convert to epub in Calibre.

The big difference I have seen so far is that ABBYY does a much better job of automatically cropping the scans. Omnipage did not do a good job of cropping if it was given the complete scan with all the black areas around the page of the book. I had to manually crop the images, then it would go ahead and crop the margins. ABBYY works good with the original scans. I don't need to do the extra cropping. That saves considerable effort on my part.

Of course both of them rotate the images and dekeystone them.

The actual OCR comes out being about the same accuracy as the Omnipage.

Bill
pablitoclavito
E-book readers owned: Iliad
Number of books owned: 200

Re: So long to Omnipage

Post by pablitoclavito »

What is the error that you get? Is it not loading at all?
I think I managed to make it run, but I remember it was randomly showing me some error message and then closing itself down.
BillGill
E-book readers owned: Calibre, FBReader
Number of books owned: 7000

Re: So long to Omnipage

Post by BillGill »

It just wouldn't load. When I called Nuance they told me it wasn't compatible with Win 10. They had their better software that would work, but it is much more expensive.

Bill