Pi Scan speed?

General discussion about software packages and releases, new software you've found, and threads by programmers and script writers.

Moderator: peterZ

glenleslie
E-book readers owned: Kindle - multiple platforms
Number of books owned: 1000

Pi Scan speed?

Post by glenleslie »

Just watched this video from (Gene Buckle?).

He shows a nice demonstration of Pi Scan at the beginning ... is Pi Scan only slow like he shows it when it's doing previews? He previews a couple of pages and then does a speed up video of scanning a small book ... is he having to wait on every page like he did at the beginning of the video? see video at this time in the video ?

still figuring out my build.

GL
duerig

Re: Pi Scan speed?

Post by duerig »

You should expect about 4 seconds per cycle which is roughly the same speed at which you can safely turn the page when you are in a rhythm. However, the exact speed will depend on the external storage (thumb drive in the case of the video), the quality of the camera (higher end cameras produce larger images that are then slower to transfer), and possibly the SD card in the camera itself (the SD card in the camera seems to be stored temporarily on the camera before being transferred off).

Previewing is much slower which is why it is an optional step for periodic checking rather than every photograph.

Overall, you might be better off going for ELPH 180 cameras rather than ELPH 160. Both will work and are equivalent in terms of quality but ELPH 180 are still being manufactured and so are easier to get. You should also look at using the Archivist build rather than the older scanner build that they show in the video. The Archivist can handle larger books and produces better quality scans. Take a look at the complete designs and such for it here:

http://diybookscanner.org/archivist/

Best of luck in your project.

-Jonathon Duerig
glenleslie
E-book readers owned: Kindle - multiple platforms

Re: Pi Scan speed?

Post by glenleslie »

Thanks. I noted that the Elph 180s are about $110 new and they're on the CHDK list so ... good news.

I had to chuckle at the Landin method in his pipe build. the infrared pointed at one camera but reflected off the platen to fire is a great idea. I was wondering how one could get a bluetooth trigger to fire cameras... looks like low end cameras will likely die out before that gets to the point of pairing with multiple devices. Maybe if phones get to the point of making sense as a scanner.

Sorry if I'm a bit slow but how does one go about getting the single-sheet CNC plans for The Basic Archivist (it seems that's what the guy in the videos I linked did... followed Daniel's original posts to the old CNC drawings and thus the older build you referenced). I see the details of individual parts but I have to do it all in one whack at a local hackerspace if I'm going that route. I'm happy to make a percentage donation just for the plans but I can't afford a full kit and they seem to be on a sort of permanent backorder? (checked in here a few months ago and same status if I'm looking at the same page-- many changes and I've not followed it closely).

GL