Daniel Reetz, the founder of the DIY Book Scanner community, has recently started making videos of prototyping and shop tips. If you are tinkering with a book scanner (or any other project) in your home shop, these tips will come in handy. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn0gq8 ... g_8K1nfInQ

iPhone App: PageScanner

General discussion about software packages and releases, new software you've found, and threads by programmers and script writers.
univurshul

Re: iPhone Apps for Smartphone Book Scanning (Tests & Review

Post by univurshul » 12 Aug 2010, 23:23

litchie wrote:Get it! I will see if there is any way to set camera focus.

I have a DX too.. I prefer to read in landscape mode, to have bigger texts. But I find sometimes it doesn't zoom in for certain PDF documents. That is really confusing.
Litchie!

Thanks, I knew you were around. Let me know if you are having trouble accessing the DIY site; I'll make sure you get feedback and questions if you don't.

Regards.

litchie

Post by litchie » 12 Aug 2010, 23:36

univurshul wrote:
litchie wrote:Get it! I will see if there is any way to set camera focus.

I have a DX too.. I prefer to read in landscape mode, to have bigger texts. But I find sometimes it doesn't zoom in for certain PDF documents. That is really confusing.
Litchie!

Thanks, I knew you were around. Let me know if you are having trouble accessing the DIY site; I'll make sure you get feedback and questions if you don't.

Regards.
Thank you! No trouble any more after buying a VPN service. I have received many great suggestions from members on this forum. Now I have the confidence to build a scanner app that fits in the book scanning work flow.

Looking forward to your mobile scanner:)

univurshul

Post by univurshul » 12 Aug 2010, 23:46

litchie wrote:[I don't have an iphone4 now, but I think zoom function in most camera apps is fake, they just apply a scale-up transform, the underlying image and its quality is not affected. No doubt it is more friendly, I will think about it.

What do you mean by "set batch focus"? I would like to implement it if it can help!

Yes, I think the zoom is fake for a number of reasons (no moving lens, not real aperture etc); I'm no camera expert, but I've realized we need to physically get the iPhone very close to the media to fill the view-finder allowing the clearest shot.

For batch capturing, one very important idea comes to mind:

If I scan a book in place, say, 300 pages. The iPhone doesn't move (as pictured), it will batch-shoot all the pages, but the big question is this: will it auto-focus on the text every time? or is there a way to pre-program the focus and repeat the shots with accurate detail every time?
Attachments
IMG_0044.jpg
IMG_0044.jpg (47.27 KiB) Viewed 5255 times

litchie

Post by litchie » 13 Aug 2010, 00:03

univurshul wrote:
litchie wrote:[I don't have an iphone4 now, but I think zoom function in most camera apps is fake, they just apply a scale-up transform, the underlying image and its quality is not affected. No doubt it is more friendly, I will think about it.

What do you mean by "set batch focus"? I would like to implement it if it can help!

Yes, I think the zoom is fake for a number of reasons (no moving lens, not real aperture etc); I'm no camera expert, but I've realized we need to physically get the iPhone very close to the media to fill the view-finder allowing the clearest shot.

For batch capturing, one very important idea comes to mind:

If I scan a book in place, say, 300 pages. The iPhone doesn't move (as pictured), it will batch-shoot all the pages, but the big question is this: will it auto-focus on the text every time? or is there a way to pre-program the focus and repeat the shots with accurate detail every time?
Focus should happen automatically. Actually there is no way to configure focus for camera from software side, except to set flash mode. I need to do some more investigation on this issue, and the zoom function too.

sixtysix

Post by sixtysix » 13 Aug 2010, 08:57

Anyway i scanned one book with my iPhone 3gs just holding the phone in my (shaky) hand.
The results are still outstanding. if you own an iPhone you really should experiment with this app.
In trying to email the completed PDF the phone just shut down. However I retrieved the file from itunes.
thanks for the reply Taylor137

univurshul

Post by univurshul » 13 Aug 2010, 13:00

sixtysix wrote: However I retrieved the file from itunes.
thanks for the reply Taylor137
Yes, this is the fastest way to offload your scanned book from the iPhone if you need to post-process, etc. on your computer. I recommend this route if you have hundreds-to-thousands of images.

I'm not sure what the file-size cut-off is for email on iOS4, but most email providers have 20mb cutoff anyway.
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (80.26 KiB) Viewed 5239 times

litchie

Re: iPhone App: PageScanner

Post by litchie » 16 Aug 2010, 21:52

univurshul, thank you for this screenshot! It worth 1 thousand words:)

Now page scanner 2.0 is out with much improved UI, and some more features:
- Batch OCR to text
- Folder merging - shuffle left/right pages together (there are four merge options to select)
- image editing improvements

Also fix some bugs.

As usual, I am looking forward to suggestions or feature request for next update. I have already received some creative ideas, however, more is better!

iTunes link: http://itunes.apple.com/app/page-scanne ... 31275?mt=8

univurshul

Post by univurshul » 16 Aug 2010, 22:58

Excellent work, Litchie! Looking forward to it.

I had one question about white balance.

For those who scan under CFLs, LEDs, Incandescent, or any different lighting. If you had a white balance option, would that improve the binarization? Or would it not make a difference?

If there was a way to modify the white balance pre-scanning, it could aid the user to capture full-color media. I've seen this on a few other camera apps. They may have developed their own tungsten/fluorescent/LED algorithms to offset these lighting applications.

litchie

Post by litchie » 16 Aug 2010, 23:12

univurshul wrote:Excellent work, Litchie! Looking forward to it.

I had one question about white balance.

For those who scan under CFLs, LEDs, Incandescent, or any different lighting. If you had a white balance option, would that improve the binarization? Or would it not make a difference?

If there was a way to modify the white balance pre-scanning, it could aid the user to capture full-color media. I've seen this on a few other camera apps. They may have developed their own tungsten/fluorescent/LED algorithms to offset these lighting applications.
Page scanner's binarization doesn't depend on types of lighting sources, but since it is optimized for text only, it does have problem in scanning color media, or rich illustrations in books, which I am currently working on. White balance definitely is required in such cases.

Could you send me the camera apps list you tried? I would like to see how good they are.

litchie

Post by litchie » 16 Aug 2010, 23:22

Another question for your scan machine: Is it still suffering from camera orientation flip issue?