Scan Tailor Advanced

Scan Tailor specific announcements, releases, workflows, tips, etc. NO FEATURE REQUESTS IN THIS FORUM, please.

Moderator: peterZ

4lex4
Number of books owned: 0

Re: Scan Tailor Advanced

Post by 4lex4 »

ScanTailor Advanced v1.0.6 has been released.
To download and see changes, go: https://github.com/4lex4/scantailor-advanced/releases
gnelms1963
E-book readers owned: Vizio Tablet with reader software
Number of books owned: 1000

Post by gnelms1963 »

Was wondering if anyone can share a compiled version for Ubuntu. Have been unsuccessful myself at compiling a working version due to all of the library requirements in 16.04 (Xenial). Not an expert at compiling from source. Any help appreciated.
Scanallthebooks

Post by Scanallthebooks »

Hey 4lex4, just tried ScanTailor Advanced and it looks excellent. It's great to see somebody is still developing ST!

If you accept bug reports, I was wondering if you could fix the automatic content selection bug in a future update? Basically the automatic content selection estimates the content box at a low resolution leading to edges of words being cut off. It has been present in every version of ST I have tried, including ST universal and ST experimental. Here is an example of the bug:
bug.png
Please see this thread for more info. According to Tulon it should be an easy fix.

Thanks in advance. ;)
4lex4

Post by 4lex4 »

Scanallthebooks , np, I'll easily fix that, ty for your report.

gnelms1963, STA requires minimum version of qt 5.6 and there are some serious reasons to use that version, and that is unavailable in your repository. The only way is to download the latest version from the official qt site and install/build that (qt is installed into its own separate folder in /usr/local, so you can easily manage or delete that), and build STA with that version.

I'm preparing a big "feature" update, it will be available in approximately one or two weeks. More info will be in the release notes of v1.0.9. After that I'll start moving STA onto the Experimental platform.
Scanallthebooks

4lex4 wrote: 02 Jan 2018, 10:44 Scanallthebooks , np, I'll easily fix that, ty for your report.

I'm preparing a big "feature" update, it will be available in approximately one or two weeks. More info will be in the release notes of v1.0.9. After that I'll start moving STA onto the Experimental platform.
Awesome, you're doing great work sir! Can not thank you enough! :D
4lex4

Post by 4lex4 »

Scanallthebooks , please send me as PM a few images ST cuts the content edges off in order to test.
gnelms1963
E-book readers owned: Vizio Tablet with reader software
Number of books owned: 1000

Post by gnelms1963 »

Hi 4lex4 ,

Thanks for the reply to my message. I did install the newest Boost and QT compiled from source on the parent sites. I did get STA to compile, but it did not have any menus, text, etc., and did not know what to try next. Have several kids that keep me busy, so I had to split my time on troubleshooting. Perhaps I will wait a couple of weeks and try the newer version when you get it out. Thanks again.
4lex4

Post by 4lex4 »

gnelms1963, np.
You've just forgot to install Qt dependencies, to be exact the devel package of libXrender in your case.
For OpenSUSE these are enough:

Code: Select all

libXrender-devel fontconfig fontconfig-devel libX11-devel Mesa Mesa-devel
Search those libs in your repositories (on debian ancestors developer libs have the suffix "dev" instead of "devel" and may have other names), and then rebuild Qt again.
Before building STA check you've built Qt correctly: go into the Qt folder and launch a qt app, for ex., QtLinguist.

More info:
https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/linux-requirements.html
4lex4

Post by 4lex4 »

The bug of cutting off content edges has been fixed in a second (commit). The fix will be available in v1.0.9.

Guys, if you know other bugs of official ST or other builds which haven't yet been fixed in STA, please report.
Scanallthebooks

4lex4 wrote: 02 Jan 2018, 19:42 The bug of cutting off content edges has been fixed in a second (commit). The fix will be available in v1.0.9.

Guys, if you know other bugs of official ST or other builds which haven't yet been fixed in STA, please report.
Great, thanks!

After the release of 1.0.9 will you be moving STA to the ST Experimental version?