Daniel Reetz, the founder of the DIY Book Scanner community, has recently started making videos of prototyping and shop tips. If you are tinkering with a book scanner (or any other project) in your home shop, these tips will come in handy. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn0gq8 ... g_8K1nfInQ

Handling Inputs from Two Cameras...?

Scan Tailor specific announcements, releases, workflows, tips, etc. NO FEATURE REQUESTS IN THIS FORUM, please.
loyukfai

Handling Inputs from Two Cameras...?

Post by loyukfai » 30 Jun 2011, 07:42

Read and Googled a bit but couldn't seem to find the relevant information. (I'm pretty sure it's somewhere, just me being inapt...)

In short, when capturing with 2 cameras, I got 2 sets of images with different sequencing filenames (e.g. DSCF1000-1200 for camera #1 and DSCF 3333-3533 for camera #2).

Read that it could be easier to process them separately, true...? But how then to integrate them together for further processing...?

Or if I should integrate them together before using ScanTailor to process them...? I can see that it's easier to have the same page size this way.

Thanks in advance!

loyukfai

Re: Handling Inputs from Two Cameras...?

Post by loyukfai » 05 Jul 2011, 00:59

Just tried renaming the files using EXIF tags but it didn't work. The problem is that, unless the 2 cameras' time is in sync, even if they're only 1 minute apart, this wouldn't work...

snaguy
E-book readers owned: iPad
Number of books owned: 0

Post by snaguy » 05 Jul 2011, 01:27

Book Scan Wizard

http://www.diybookscanner.org/forum/vie ... ?f=9&t=785

Optionally works with a separate left and right images folder:
This will match left & right images by the timestamp of the images, but will use the last images from the two directories to sync the remainder. That way, even if the cameras do not have their time synchronized, it can still match up the images correctly. If there is an image that doesn't have a matching image, it will get flagged and put at the end of the list. So if a camera doesn't fire, or if you take some test shots, it won't screw up the placement of the remaining images.

or

Rename images from first camera even sequential numbers and the other odd.
There are several programs capable of doing this like file renamer.

or

If you are using the full version of Acrobat and have the plugin quite imposing plus. There is a feature to reorder pages.

or

If you are still having problems I will find some more ways to do what you want.

loyukfai

Post by loyukfai » 05 Jul 2011, 02:32

Thanks!

Tried launching BSW but how can I tell it to find the images in 2 separate folders? It has only 1 "source directory", I put the images under "source\left" and "source\right" but BSW says it couldn't find any.

BTW, how to use Renamer to do the renaming you mentioned? And does it have a portable version? Trying to build a portable suite that can be run on a USB disk without any installers.

Tried with Ant Renamer (http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/ ... r_portable) but haven't yet figured out how to do odd/even number renaming.

P.S. Can I package BSW to be a portable executable as well...?

Cheers.

Edit: Silly me. Just figured out how to do odd/even renaming in Ant, just use "Enumeration" and set "Increment by"'s value to 2.

snaguy

Post by snaguy » 05 Jul 2011, 23:44

I will not answer the other questions as I think they are now invalid.
P.S. Can I package BSW to be a portable executable as well...?
BSW relies on java being installed so I believe that it is not possible to be made into a portable executable. I say believe because there might be a way I am not aware of, maybe ask in the BSW area.

I find your quest for a portable post processing option interesting. I personally have little or no use for it as I have quite an extensive assortment of hardware available. I do however see others benefiting from this.

A live ubuntu disc customised with ST, BSW, gphoto, gimp, PDFBeads, djvubind, would be a portable option that will not interfere with someone else's computer. There have been a few people looking into this around the forum. I do not know if anyone has done this yet.

How did you go with Ant Renamer?

loyukfai

Post by loyukfai » 06 Jul 2011, 10:04

Oh yeah! How come I didn't think of it earlier... A LiveCD/USB/Whatever... Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did manage to use Ant Renamer to do the job... But if I'm to use a LiveCD/USB/Whatever, which one do you recommend for Linux?

And Ubuntu? Or some other distros...?

Cheers.

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz » 06 Jul 2011, 12:00

snaguy wrote: A live ubuntu disc customised with ST, BSW, gphoto, gimp, PDFBeads, djvubind, would be a portable option that will not interfere with someone else's computer. There have been a few people looking into this around the forum. I do not know if anyone has done this yet.
It's been proposed almost a dozen times. User Benjamin said that he had one and the rights to release it, but he's been busy and I've not seen it. I should really compile a list of everyone who ever worked on one, and see if maybe between everyone, we could get it done. It would help a lot of people, and take some of the pain out of the process.

snaguy

Post by snaguy » 06 Jul 2011, 18:34

Daniel,

Can you start a new topic in the board index for Live CD for post processing project.

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz » 06 Jul 2011, 20:28

You mean a new section like Hardware, Software, Scan Tailor, and Book Scan Wizard?

Can we start with a sticky thread in Software, see how it goes, and then make it a subforum/section when it is a little further along?

snaguy

Post by snaguy » 06 Jul 2011, 21:25

Yes like a new section.

With a new section I think it will get maximum exposure and give it a nice push forward. This probably has not progressed due to falling off the radar and lack of awareness.