Scan Tailor

Scan Tailor specific announcements, releases, workflows, tips, etc. NO FEATURE REQUESTS IN THIS FORUM, please.

Moderator: peterZ

Tulon
Number of books owned: 0

Re: Scan Tailor

Post by Tulon »

The release of version 0.9.8 is expected in about two weeks. I've got a pre-release here: http://www.onlinedisk.ru/file/378694/

The upcoming release focuses on getting despeckling right. There are now 3 levels of despeckling plus the fourth one which is "off". The default one is now much less likely to remove bits of content, and there is now a nice visualization of what has been removed, so it's easy to be in control. Please try this pre-release and report cases where the default mode does remove bits of content. Remember that the correct DPI is very important for good despeckling results.

Dewarping still needs much work, and it will become my priority next. For the upcoming release I am going to disable it completely, though I'll make a non-official build with it.

Also, don't use 3D acceleration in this pre-release. It crashes with the new version of Qt and I am going to disable it in the upcoming release as well.
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.
StevePoling
E-book readers owned: SONY PRS-505, Kindle DX
Number of books owned: 9999

Post by StevePoling »

Tulon, thanks for all the good work you've put into building a fantastic system.
Tulon

Post by Tulon »

You are welcome, Steve.

I've got a new build that fixes a problem with the previous one where despeckling aggressiveness was affected by output resolution. Sadly, this problem wasn't reported by anyone and got noticed by pure luck. I'd appreciate more testing ahead of the upcoming release.
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

I put up a news post about this, hopefully we can round up some more testing help. This place is awfully quiet on the weekends, so it's not so surprising that you haven't heard much.

I'll test some of my scans later tonight or early tomorrow -- the disk I used to store them died. Well, not the disk, exactly, but the USB host controller on it. Just need to yank it from the dead enclosure and install it in one of my ancient towers.
bkrpr

Post by bkrpr »

I'm happy to help with any scan tailor testing but am running linux so I can't make use of the .exe builds. Is there a tar ball somewhere, or a version control tree I can pull releases from?
strider1551

Post by strider1551 »

Is there a tar ball somewhere, or a version control tree I can pull releases from?
I know the project has hosting at sourceforge (official?). As long as you have git installed you can pull from the repository there:

Code: Select all

git clone git://scantailor.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/scantailor/scantailor
Also, if you happen to be a gentoo user I can send you a live ebuild that will always build whatever is the latest in the repository.
Tulon

Post by Tulon »

Use git or just download a tar.gz snapshot from the git web interface:
http://scantailor.git.sourceforge.net/g ... ;a=summary
Tulon

Post by Tulon »

I've fixed a crash reported using Scan Tailor's built in tool. Also disabled and made invisible 3D acceleration functionality and dewarping. The new build is here. Let's see if anyone manages to crash this one.
sixtysix

Post by sixtysix »

i ran a book through this and it is showing a significant improvement. Last time I had problems with some words appearing clipped-the odd word being illegible-this is very very good.
Tulon

Post by Tulon »

Letters being classified as speckles usually means the DPI of your input images is wrong (too high).