scan tailor is so amazing!!!

Scan Tailor specific announcements, releases, workflows, tips, etc. NO FEATURE REQUESTS IN THIS FORUM, please.

Moderator: peterZ

kylefoley2000

scan tailor is so amazing!!!

Post by kylefoley2000 »

I really want to thank Tulon for writing this amazing software. I'm using Abbyy to scan my books and although it does a good job about one in every 4 pages, the last 4 lines will usually be garbled because the lines are warped. but with scan tailor i'm proud to say that that problem is completely eliminated. not only that, with Abbyy it takes about 4 hours to scan a 400 page book, each jpg being about 700K, but scan tailor reduces the images to about 100K and make the whole process go 7 times faster!!! thank you so much Tulon. I really appreciate it.
eL_PuSHeR

Re: scan tailor is so amazing!!!

Post by eL_PuSHeR »

I don't get it. You cannot scan with ST.
JPEG lossy compression is EVIL for working with text. TIFF is better.
Tulon
Number of books owned: 0

Post by Tulon »

kylefoley2000 wrote:I really want to thank Tulon for writing this amazing software.
I am glad you like it.
eL_PuSHeR wrote:JPEG lossy compression is EVIL for working with text. TIFF is better.
TIFF is usually better, but:
1. TIFF can be lossy as well - some scanners produce those.
2. If your final result is OCR-ed text, image quality doesn't really matter as long as your OCR software is happy with it.
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

I am also a big fan of Scan Tailor. Thanks, Tulon!