Scan Tailor "Enhanced"

Scan Tailor specific announcements, releases, workflows, tips, etc. NO FEATURE REQUESTS IN THIS FORUM, please.

Moderator: peterZ

dtic

Re: Scan Tailor "Enhanced"

Post by dtic »

The new version works well in Win 7. Thank you!

Regarding my point 2 above: I wasn't clear enough. Here's an example. First go to the select content step in ST and do batch process on all images. Next, I want to manually edit selection for some images. I click a thumbnail in the right hand pane. The previous image in the large middle pane now disappears and the "processing" dot animation is display. On my system that takes several seconds. For each image I click. Every time. I got the impression that the time delay is caused by ST reprocessing the select content command on the image each time I click it. So if I click back and forth between page 1 and 2 several times ST will reprocess select content every time. I wondered if it would be possible to add a way to skip the reprocessing through a special action (alt+click).
pejuko

Post by pejuko »

ScanTailor does not cache the images displayed in the middle pane it should just remember detected (or set) parameters. If you are switching between two images there is still necessary image processing to generate actual view. I don't plan to implement such cache in near future.
dtic

Post by dtic »

Yes, it does remember the parameters if I do changes to the selection between each switch. So no problem there. It was only the delay I was wishing to get around. My system is somewhat dated though so that might be the weakest link. Out of curiosity can anyone reading this who runs ST on a computer with a fast current gen CPU (Sandy/Ivy Bridge) tell me roughly how long time the select content processing takes for one page?
Tulon
Number of books owned: 0

Post by Tulon »

Depending on the resolution and compression type of your input images, 2 sec for switching between pages might or might not be OK. Try switching between pages on the "Fix Orientation" stage. If it's not significantly faster, that just means most of those 2 seconds are spent on loading a file from disk and decompressing it.
Choosing a good scanning format can help there. Jpeg is going to be the quickest to load, as the files are small, though it's a lossy format, so I wouldn't recommend it, at least not for flatbed scanners. TIFF with LZW compression seems like the best combination among lossless formats.
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.
dtic

Post by dtic »

Image load is around 1.5 seconds per image in the Fix Orientation step for 8 megapixel jpeg photos of book pages on my system. So I guess that explains most of the wait in the Select Content step too. I didn't at first think of that since those images display with almost no delay in IrfanView (image viewer application).
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

I think irfanview loads the next few images in the directory while you're looking at the current one, which helps with the perception of instantaneous-ness.
Tulon

Post by Tulon »

Image load is around 1.5 seconds per image in the Fix Orientation step for 8 megapixel jpeg photos.
I would expect Jpeg to load faster than that, though maybe not by much. What input DPI are you specifying for those?
I think irfanview loads the next few images in the directory while you're looking at the current one, which helps with the perception of instantaneous-ness.
It's not something terribly hard to do, in fact I already do it for thumbnails, but:
1. I would only do such a thing in a 64-bit version, as the 32-bit version is address-space constrained.
2. As usual, I don't have enough free time :(
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.
dtic

Post by dtic »

The images where 340 dpi. My computer is likely the bottleneck as it is about 6 years old.
Tulon

Post by Tulon »

dtic wrote:The images where 340 dpi.
Sounds about right for a 8 megapixels image.
My computer is likely the bottleneck as it is about 6 years old.
Looks like it.
eL_PuSHeR

Post by eL_PuSHeR »

I have also noticed that navigating through the content section seems slower than regular 0.9.11.1 release. I have to do more tests though.