scantailor 0.9.10 on windows xp

Scan Tailor specific announcements, releases, workflows, tips, etc. NO FEATURE REQUESTS IN THIS FORUM, please.

Moderator: peterZ

amdc

scantailor 0.9.10 on windows xp

Post by amdc »

Hello,

I am having issues trying to make scantailor load images

im using Windows XP sp 3 and im trying to load image files of *.jpg

after setting the DPI for the set of pictures and clicking ok an error message shows "The Following file could not be loaded: F:/Workspace/A#1/2011-10-03/Canon PowerShot G11_IMG_0001_U_001.jpg"

is there anything i need to set up to get scantailor working for my system?

Thank you
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: scantailor 0.9.10 on windows xp

Post by daniel_reetz »

Out of curiousity, have you tried loading them from a different location? Maybe one without a # sign?
Tulon
Number of books owned: 0

Post by Tulon »

There is one specific type of JPEG images that Scan Tailor doesn't support. That would be JPEGs with arithmetic compression. The lack of support is due to patent restrictions. I can suggest two options:
1. Don't scan to JPEG. Scan to some lossless format, like TIFF (usually lossless) or PNG (always lossless).
2. Convert your JPEGs to TIFF or PNG. Note that conversion to TIFF may just involve wrapping JPEG data into a TIFF container, so it might still not work.
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.
amdc

Post by amdc »

hello,

sorry for the late reply,

@daniel_reetz
-Yeah I have also tried that out of curiosity, also tried loading it on a different drive and the issue still persists

@Tulon
- i have even tried to load a printscreen image(.jpg) from my desktop and that error message still exists

also tried making a fresh install

appreciate the replies Thanks

amdc
Tulon

Post by Tulon »

amdc wrote:- i have even tried to load a printscreen image(.jpg) from my desktop and that error message still exists
Can you post an example of such an image?
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.
amdc

Post by amdc »

Hi Tulon,

here is the .jpg file i tried to load in scantailor

filenames: SCANTAILOR-ERROR.JPG - simple screenshot using printscreen pasted on mspaint
SCANTAILOR-ERROR2.JPG - screenshot showing image file SCANTAILOR-ERROR.JPG fail to load on scantailor

Thanks,

amdc
Attachments
screenshot showing image file SCANTAILOR-ERROR.JPG fail to load on scantailor
screenshot showing image file SCANTAILOR-ERROR.JPG fail to load on scantailor
simple screenshot using printscreen pasted on mspaint
simple screenshot using printscreen pasted on mspaint
Tulon

Post by Tulon »

Works here on WinXP SP3:
scantailor-ok.jpg
Sorry, I have no idea why it fails for you.
amdc

Post by amdc »

Hi Tulon,

no worries, thanks for looking into this, i appreciate your help

amdc