Batch deskew wrong

Scan Tailor specific announcements, releases, workflows, tips, etc. NO FEATURE REQUESTS IN THIS FORUM, please.

Moderator: peterZ

KendyfortheState

Batch deskew wrong

Post by KendyfortheState »

I'm trying my first book with Scan Tailor... it's a very impressive program, very well done!
I've cut the binding of a book and used a page-fed scanner to scan in all 240 pages at 400dpi grayscale. The problem I'm having is that when I use the deskew batch process it will do the first 40 pages or so very accurately, then it will deskew the majority (90%) of the rest of the document at .62 degrees. Not every page, but most of them. If I go to a page that is obviously wrong, (always at .62 degrees) then click "Manual", then "Auto" it will correct the page, deskewing it quite accurately. Am I missing something here? It's not a big deal for one book to go through all 240 pages and fix them, but I have lots more books I'd like to do and it would be nice if the deskewing worked better.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: Batch deskew wrong

Post by daniel_reetz »

Will you please post one sample page that exhibits this error?
Tulon
Number of books owned: 0

Post by Tulon »

Could it be you applied a certain deskew angle to all pages? I am not sure if you can mass-apply the automatic mode to fix this problem - that particular piece of code wasn't written by me.
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.
kitashi

Post by kitashi »

I've checked with my project files and confirmed that the problem sometimes occurs, but I'm not sure the condition to represent yet. Anyway, I'll check the code and see if I can fix it. Please wait.

FYI, In case mass-applying automatic mode won't correctly reset angles, the easiest way to reset deskew angle/mode is:
1. Go to 'Fix Orientation' stage and rotate all pages to directions different from present, e.g. upside down.
2. Go to 'Deskew' stage and batch-process all the pages, to reset the angles.
3. Go back to 'Fix Orientation' stage and rotate all the pages to correct directions.