Scan Tailor problems with A480

Scan Tailor specific announcements, releases, workflows, tips, etc. NO FEATURE REQUESTS IN THIS FORUM, please.

Moderator: peterZ

openbuddha
E-book readers owned: kindle 3, kindle 2 DX, Nook Color, iPad2
Number of books owned: 14000

Re: Scan Tailor problems with A480

Post by openbuddha »

openbuddha wrote:
Heelgrasper wrote: Then why do you put the actual pixel size in a box that asks for DPI? As far as I understand what you're saying, you're putting 3648 x 2736 in the box. As the tutorial explains, that's not what you're supposed to do.
Because doing what the tutorial suggested wound up with a grayed out dialog when I tried it before.
And it is all working now so clearly I was doing something stupid.

Does anyone have a link to a more current OS X compilation of Scan Tailor, in any case?
Tulon
Number of books owned: 0

Re: Scan Tailor problems with A480

Post by Tulon »

Well, Scan Tailor tries to save you from yourself (and me from getting irrelevant crash reports) by not letting you proceed with parameters that seem wrong and are going to cause overconsumption of memory, possibly resulting in crashes.
I guess if you shoot your images with a low zoom level, you could end up with such a low DPI given a relatively high pixel resolution. Still, that doesn't look that wrong.

Actually, since the out-of-memory handler was implemented, strict constraints should be relaxed and probably turned into warnings. That's something for future releases though, not for the upcoming 0.9.11.1, which I am building as I write this.
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.