ScanTailor_multi_core -- speed up processing

Scan Tailor specific announcements, releases, workflows, tips, etc. NO FEATURE REQUESTS IN THIS FORUM, please.

Moderator: peterZ

dtic

Re: ScanTailor_multi_core -- speed up processing

Post by dtic »

0kelvin wrote:This multicore script isn't working right for me. It has two bugs: it changes the resolution per part, each part is having all its pages being adjusted according to the largest page of that part, yielding different page sizes (off by some pixels) at the end; it fails to use mixed or color modes, outputting everything in black and white even when I did select mixed mode for all pages.
I can't reproduce the problem with mixed/color mode you describe. Did you use ScanTailor Enhanced? What version? Have you doublechecked that the .scantailor project file has the mixed mode setting?

On the second issue: yes, if the largest page size in each part (width or height) differs from that in other parts there will be a size difference. If the user precrops the images to whole book pages the difference would be tiny and not really a problem for my own use case and, I guess, the use case of some others. However the issue could be worked around in the way mhr describes upthread: find the max width and max height pages in the whole project, make temp copies of those images (one per core used in the processing step), update the split project files with data for those temp images, run the subprocesses and when done remove the temp files.
0kelvin
Number of books owned: 0

Post by 0kelvin »

No matter if I apply to all pages, it disregards the mode and chooses black and white for all.

Scantailor 9.11.1

I wish I could port it to GPU processing, it could like 20x faster.
dtic

Post by dtic »

I think you need Scan Tailor Enhanced. That is the only version I've used the latest version of scantailor_multi_core on anyway.
0kelvin wrote:I wish I could port it to GPU processing, it could like 20x faster.
That would be something! You could add a request issue at the ScanTailor github about it. There is already a SSE optimization wish posted at https://github.com/scantailor/scantailor/issues/93 . Though ScanTailor hasn't been updated in some time.

edit: the creator of ScanTailor, Tulon, is also back with an experimental build here. In the commits since the 2015_06_20 release there is some OpenCL stuff, so maybe more such speed optimizations are underway. You could post in that thread and ask Tulon.
Last edited by dtic on 07 Jul 2015, 15:50, edited 1 time in total.
dtic

Post by dtic »

(doublepost)
foler
Number of books owned: 0

Post by foler »

Is it possible to run scan tailor from cli in multi thread mode? Cant see options in experimental version.