keep the 'active page' button DISABLED???

Scan Tailor specific announcements, releases, workflows, tips, etc. NO FEATURE REQUESTS IN THIS FORUM, please.

Moderator: peterZ

o3h1p

keep the 'active page' button DISABLED???

Post by o3h1p »

This is a very annoying problem and it might just be my lack of knowledge. So I am on the stage of 'select content'. One of the screencasts for ST says you should sort by width and height and see what pages were identified as very narrow/wide or very long/short and these are mostly where many of your false identifications lie (http://vimeo.com/12524529). So I do that, but when proceeding down the list I use the PGDWN button on the keyboard with my other hand on the mouse to change the selection areas. So far so good, but as soon as I make a change that increases the width the page will resort itself the entire list resorts itself so the 'active page' jumps down somewhere on the list. But I don't want the right hand window to change position, I still want to go in order. So there's a button that prevents this at the top right--the 'active page' button--and this works fine when I am using my mouse to click, that is, the button stays in the non-blue (non-depressed?) position, but AS SOON as I press pgdown the button resets. This is incredibly annoying. The 'W' key is also supposed to be for 'page down' function, but that also doesnt work. if you select all (shift-click) and try and set unset the button it doesn't help. Anyone have a solution. The stopgap is to use the scroll wheel to navigate (much less efficient) or keep hitting that button before making changes (probably the better solution, but still a royal pain).

Any suggestions you have would be a big help.
thanks
jack
dtic

Re: keep the 'active page' button DISABLED???

Post by dtic »

I don't think there is any keyboard way to keep that button disabled.
o3h1p

Post by o3h1p »

Well keyboard or setting, it doesn't matter. The problem isn't that I can't disable the button with the keyboard. The problem is any page change through the keyboard RESETS the button.
dtic

Post by dtic »

I know. But there is no setting in ScanTailor that I know of that can fix that problem when using keyboard. Using the mouse is currently the only way to avoid having the button automatically activated.
o3h1p

Post by o3h1p »

Ok thanks for your reply. I just wanted to be clear. When you said 'KEYBOARD WAY to keep the button disabled' I wanted to make sure everyone knows I really don't care about the WAY it is disabled (keyboard, mouse, editing a text file, etc., .etc.) as long as it stays disabled WHEN USING the keyboard.

That's too bad. Is there a place to submit feature requests/bugs?
dtic

Post by dtic »

No, there is a feature request freeze (see description for the Scan Tailor forum section here). Tulon, the main developer of Scan Tailor, pursues other projects at the moment. Since it is an open source project there is always a possibility that another developer joins the project and picks up work on these types of GUI tweaks.

I would also like that button disabled. However I don't have the programming skills to add code to Scan Tailor. But I will try to create an external script (for Windows only) that interacts with Scan Tailor to work around the annoying button. I'll post here again if I succeed.
dtic

Post by dtic »

@o3h1p: I have a working solution now. I will clean up the script and post it later tonight.
o3h1p

Post by o3h1p »

thanks!
dtic

Post by dtic »

I put it in a separate thread here
dtic

Post by dtic »

You can disable the active page completely by editing the Scan Tailor source files and then build and install the modified Scan Tailor. For details on how to setup a build environment, see readme.en.txt in the source file download from here http://scantailor.sourceforge.net/?q=en/node/3 . It takes a bit of work but all files and programs needed are freely available.

Once you have a working build environment, edit these source files.

MainWindow.ui

Change this code part...

Code: Select all

<property name="icon">
         <iconset resource="../resources/resources.qrc">
          <normaloff>:/icons/keep-in-view.png</normaloff>:/icons/keep-in-view.png</iconset>
        </property>
        <property name="checkable">
         <bool>true</bool>
        </property>
        <property name="checked">
         <bool>true</bool>
        </property>
       </widget>
into this...

<property name="checkable">
         <bool>false</bool>
        </property>
        <property name="checked">
         <bool>false</bool>
        </property>
       </widget>

MainWindow.cpp
Add comment signs ( two frontslashes // ) at the start of these lines

//	connect(
//		focusButton, SIGNAL(clicked(bool)),
//		this, SLOT(thumbViewFocusToggled(bool))
//	);

MainWindow.h
Add comment signs at the start of this line

//	void thumbViewFocusToggled(bool checked);
Done! Build the setup file and install it.