Different sizes in pages

Scan Tailor specific announcements, releases, workflows, tips, etc. NO FEATURE REQUESTS IN THIS FORUM, please.

Moderator: peterZ

KreGgiants
Number of books owned: 0

Different sizes in pages

Post by KreGgiants »

Hi, I used scan tailor first for my odd pages then my even pages, creating two different projects.

Problem is that even though I set both projects with the same margins (4mm on top and bottom, and 3mm on right and left margins) and same ammount of DPI (600), my even pages have much smaller margins than the odd pages. Example:

Small margin on an even number page

Big margin on an odd number page

I'm not a huge expert on Scan Tailor, so I might be missing something.
Is there anyway to make the images similar in size? I mean, can Scan Tailor make all pages a certain height and width?

PS: my book scanning setup is nowhere near perfection... I use just one camera, a tripod and the rotate the book for the other side etc. So there is a bit of movement... but I thought ST can make it the same size for every page of the book, even or odd.
eL_PuSHeR

Re: Different sizes in pages

Post by eL_PuSHeR »

This is what I do in these cases,although it could not be the best solution for you.

Using a graphic manipulation software I do a batch conversion resizing all pages within any limits. Thus, all generated pages will be roughly the same size.

I hope this helps. Best regards.
dtic

Post by dtic »

KreGgiants: doing all pages (left and right) in one project would solve the problem if all the images are shot with the same camera from the same distance. Is there some reason why you are doing two separate projects?
KreGgiants

Post by KreGgiants »

eL_PuSHeR wrote:This is what I do in these cases,although it could not be the best solution for you.

Using a graphic manipulation software I do a batch conversion resizing all pages within any limits. Thus, all generated pages will be roughly the same size.

I hope this helps. Best regards.
Would you mind pointing me to a tutorial to batch resize all pages or just go quickly about it?
dtic wrote:KreGgiants: doing all pages (left and right) in one project would solve the problem if all the images are shot with the same camera from the same distance. Is there some reason why you are doing two separate projects?
The book was well over 1000 pages and my computer is not the newest one (though with the help of an SSD it's going pretty strong for most of my uses hehe). I've got 3gb RAM on it and I have had problems with Photoshop and video editing softwares, after working on bigger projects, saying that there was not enough memory, thus making me lose all my work :(
So I learned I should try and keep it at a reasonable size.
dtic

Post by dtic »

KreGgiants wrote:The book was well over 1000 pages and my computer is not the newest one (though with the help of an SSD it's going pretty strong for most of my uses hehe). I've got 3gb RAM on it and I have had problems with Photoshop and video editing softwares, after working on bigger projects, saying that there was not enough memory, thus making me lose all my work :(
So I learned I should try and keep it at a reasonable size.
Well ok, but if you save the Scan Tailor project frequently then you won't lose much progress even if there is a crash. Try save as... to a new project after each processing step and maybe multiple times during manual selection editing after batch selection. Even with a few crashes it might take you less time all in all compared to doing extra cropping steps after Scan Tailor.
dpc

Post by dpc »

Go to the content selection phase of ST, then sort your pages on the left by increasing height or width. Scroll to the end of the list of pages and ensure that the automatic content selection didn't include something on the page that shouldn't be there.
eL_PuSHeR

Post by eL_PuSHeR »

Agreed with what has been suggested so far. Your best bet is to do a single project.