Scan Tailor is looking for a new maintainer

Scan Tailor specific announcements, releases, workflows, tips, etc. NO FEATURE REQUESTS IN THIS FORUM, please.

Moderator: peterZ

Tulon
Number of books owned: 0

Scan Tailor is looking for a new maintainer

Post by Tulon »

Hi everyone,

As you've probably noticed, I haven't worked on Scan Tailor for a while. Long enough to conclude I've completely lost interest and won't be coming back to it. Still, I do occasionally receive new translations and even small patches. I do accept those and push them to version control, but then feel bad about not making any new releases, preventing these contributions from reaching the general public.

Therefore, it's time to start actively looking for a new maintainer. A maintainer will have to:
* Know C++.
* Review and accept or reject new translations or patches.
* Make new releases periodically.
* Update the website when necessary.
* [optional] Answer occasional questions over email. On the other hand, you may simply ignore those, as I've been doing lately.

As we are talking about maintenance rather than development, the knowledge of image processing is not required.

Unfortunately, there is very little you get in return:
* A line in your CV / Resume.
* Donations made to the project. Unfortunately, we are talking about very small amounts.

Once we find a new maintainer, I'll be happy to provide some initial assistance.

P.S:
I offered this position to Petr Kovar, the author of "Scan Tailor Enhanced", but haven't heard back from him. That offer still stands.
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.
dingodog
Number of books owned: 1000

Re: Scan Tailor is looking for a new maintainer

Post by dingodog »

As intensive scantailor user, I have to say that I have not suffered from lacking of new releases since thew latest release Tulon made

Everything worked fine, I made bookscans like and better than googlebooks

Scantailor is almost perfect (it will be perfect when dewarping will be enhanced and improved)

I regret my very little knowledge of c++, that inhibits me from proposing as mantainer, but as hard user I can assure that scantailor is very useful and rock solid for the majority of book scans postprocessing tasks
Tulon

Post by Tulon »

Just a quick update.

I heard back from Petr Kovar, the author of Scan Tailor Enhanced. He told me he lost his interest in Scan Tailor and that Scan Tailor Enhanced is likely to become unmaintained as well.

Hopefully someone else will come forward.
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

Thanks for the update. Scan Tailor is very important here on the whole; I hope you are successful in finding a maintainer. I am sorry to hear that Petr is not interested, he is quite good and would have been my first candidate.
dtic

Post by dtic »

A big cheer for Tulon for creating Scan Tailor and making it so great and for Petr for his work on the Enhanced version. Scan Tailor remains a very, very useful tool! I hope a new maintainer is found.

If updates for Enhanced stop I also hope at least parts of its code get merged into the main version of Scan Tailor. I'm thinking specifically of the command line stuff in Enhanced. With that we may be near a method for fully automating the software processing of text only books. The method is to first use some other tool to crop the photos into complete book pages, in other words trim away all background. Then let ST command line process those pages in full without trying to select subimage text areas. If the cropping step can be made reliable we'd have a fully automated software workflow for text only books, with camera photos as input and OCRed pdf or djvu files as output.
reproman
E-book readers owned: 8 kindles
Number of books owned: 3000

Post by reproman »

Many thanks for your work thus far.
A great tool and much appreciated. Could not do the work I have done so far without it. Scanned approx. 150 bibles in the last month and processed to pdf.
Have about 1500 more to go!
I built a 2 camera semi-automatic scanner. Can scan at over 1200 pages/hr. What could slow down is page turning, especially on onion skin type of paper.
Push button once per cycle. Not lifting or gripping. :D
Your software does such a great job. Hope you can continue to improve.
You are a brilliant guy.
Thanks again.
dtic

Post by dtic »

Hi reproman. A semi-automatic scanner sounds great! Do you mean that you have motorized the up/down movement of the platen? Could you share some images or even video of how it operates? I'm sure many in the forums would be interested so you could perhaps make a separate post about it in the scanners and build threads section.
Tulon

Post by Tulon »

I've got some exciting news today. Looks like we've got a new maintainer for Scan Tailor! You'll hear more from me or from the guy himself soon.
Tulon

Post by Tulon »

BTW, thanks for your kind words, reproman and others.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

Tulon wrote:I've got some exciting news today. Looks like we've got a new maintainer for Scan Tailor! You'll hear more from me or from the guy himself soon.
Tulon, that's wonderful news. Please let me know, here or by email, if you or the new maintainer need anything from this community or forum. We're really grateful for your work!