Scan Tailor "Experimental"

Scan Tailor specific announcements, releases, workflows, tips, etc. NO FEATURE REQUESTS IN THIS FORUM, please.

Moderator: peterZ

shinomura
Number of books owned: 0

Re: Scan Tailor "Experimental"

Post by shinomura »

https://mega.nz/#!cllkGbaB!iQEalxOUEXvu ... JXQWIujB1Q

i notice that only keystoning and curved lines have this issue, so i create this project with 2 pages with keystoning, 2 pages with curved lines and a page with no distortion.
xerum

Post by xerum »

Hi Tulon,

I am also having strange problems since latest version. It is to do when selecting Keystone or Curved pages in Geometric Distortion stage.

I commence my process stage 1 and stage 2
stage 3 i select curved pages - this where the trouble begins

It seems STexp struggles (takes many seconds ie.. 10 seconds per page) to process the pages (see http://lilfile.com/fzyP3K to D/L scanned pages i used for testing purposes - you have to wait 10 seconds for D/L link).

After a few pages i can crash (out of memory) error. There is nothing different about these scan than previous scans .They are all 300DPI scans.

see below links to screen shots also.

http://www.dumpt.com/img/viewer.php?fil ... pitrhk.jpg

http://www.dumpt.com/img/viewer.php?fil ... pkhgqf.jpg

I hope this helps explain.
Tulon

Post by Tulon »

Shinomura,

I still can't reproduce your issue.

In your project, some pages have question marks on the Select Content stage. Could it be because you adjusted something on the Geometric Distortions stage after content box detection took place? If so, that's expected behavior. If not, the way to go would be creating a proper video screencast showing everything starting from project creation.

For recording a screencast, I recommend the free BB FlashBack Express software.
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.
shinomura

Post by shinomura »

yes, i do that. i do the same on no distortion and page skew but have no this issue.

although after adjusted on keystoning or curved lines i click on select content and margins again before save and closed project, after reopen the question mark still not disappear... maybe i will create video later.
Tulon

Post by Tulon »

Never mind, Shinomura. I reproduced your issue finally.

I also reproduced Xerum's issue, though that one is non-trivial to fix.
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.
0kelvin

Post by 0kelvin »

Does scantailor auto processes every page? IT seems that grey shaded text boxes are being filtered, as if scantailor was trying to clean it. But I don't want that area to be cleaned, just leave it as it is. If the box is large enough it correctly detects the zone, but sometimes it attempts to clean it, partially erasing the background.

There seems to be a mistake with languages. My Windows is PT, but scantailor has text in spanish mixed with pt.

IS there a way to disable the algorithm that it uses to clean the pages? Sometimes I'm processing a book that is already clean and the only thing I'm going to do is deskew and set margins, select content, no other processing.
Tulon

Post by Tulon »

0kelvin wrote:IT seems that grey shaded text boxes are being filtered, as if scantailor was trying to clean it.
It it doesn't get detected as a picture zone, it gets binarized. The gray background may or may not be turned into white. If you want to keep it gray, you need to manually mark it as a picture zone.
0kelvin wrote:There seems to be a mistake with languages. My Windows is PT, but scantailor has text in spanish mixed with pt.
Perhaps the Portuguese translator started by copying the Spanish translation but never finished translating it into Portuguese. If you want to help translating ST experimental into Portuguese, I can give you the instructions.
0kelvin wrote:IS there a way to disable the algorithm that it uses to clean the pages? Sometimes I'm processing a book that is already clean and the only thing I'm going to do is deskew and set margins, select content, no other processing.
The "Color/Grayscale" output mode hardly does any cleaning.
0kelvin

Post by 0kelvin »

It is erasing areas that I did select manually.
Tulon

Post by Tulon »

Maybe you need to adjust your picture zone properties (right click on a zone -> Properties). If this doesn't help, consider making a screencast demonstrating the issue. Your verbal explanation is rather vague.
xerum

Post by xerum »

Tulon wrote:
i've processed dozens of scanned books with STEXP since it's release including latest and found nothing wrong with respect to the above. this part works well for me.

the part i "feel" and i use the word feel because i haven't tested it thoroughly between STEXP and 9.11.1 is that the "Select Content" stage appears to be a touch less sensitive than 9.11.1.
i.e. it doesn't always detect page numbers at the bottom of the page.
It would be a wish if the senstiviness of "select content" stage could be dialed up or down to suit. (i.e. slider +/- like the output stage where there is a slider that can make "thicker or lighter"