Scan Tailor "Experimental"

Scan Tailor specific announcements, releases, workflows, tips, etc. NO FEATURE REQUESTS IN THIS FORUM, please.

Moderator: peterZ

tuf
E-book readers owned: Kindle Touch
Number of books owned: 100

Re: Scan Tailor "Experimental"

Post by tuf »

Both problems appear with the OpenCL/OpenGl enabled/disabled.

A video with the memory error:
http://www98.zippyshare.com/v/GFXA4Rjz/file.html
Tulon
Number of books owned: 0

Post by Tulon »

I suspect you are actually running out of your 6GB of memory. Your task manager only shows 2.6 GB peak consumption of Scan Tailor, though mine is peaking at 4.6 GB. Given that you have swap disabled, it's plausible 4.6 GB is not available to applications on your system. If you really need to process images that large, you can work-around this issue by setting "System load" to minimum. That will effectively disable simultaneous processing of multiple pages, which obviously saves memory.

The crash still remains unexplained though. Your video doesn't show it. How reproducible is it?
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.
tuf
E-book readers owned: Kindle Touch
Number of books owned: 100

Post by tuf »

The crash is gone now.
Only the out of memory warning remains.
The image is not mine, i dont use this kind of images. When i posted i was able to reproduce the crash, now i cannot.
I did not encountered problems, just the thing with this image.
sebarejent

Post by sebarejent »

Hi, I've been waiting for Scan Tailor cli mode to be fixed for some time now (about 6 months). And now finally message about it being broken is gone from the first post :)

I'm on win 10 x64 using newest Scan Tailor Experimental x86 from 2016 June 20.

But I've got two problems with cli, maybe somebody can help me:

This is crucial code that I'm using in Windows batch file for scan tailor.
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Scan Tailor\scantailor-cli.exe" -v -l=1.5 --content-detection=cautious --margins-right=20 --margins-left=20 --margins-top=28 --margins-bottom=28 --white-margins=true --color-mode=color_grayscale --start-filter=1 --end-filter=6 "%cd%\%%G\crop" "%cd%\%%G\out"

1. Result tiff files are in black and white, why color mode is ignored? Am I setting white-margins correct? Should I set some option to false to activate color-mode?
2. How to set in cli mode Resolution Enhancement to 1.0? Now end file resolution is two times larger, I'm thinking it's because resolution enhancement is set to default (x2.0). I've tried set dpi and output dpi, but no success in getting output resolution similar to x1.0.
0kelvin

Post by 0kelvin »

Why does scantailor erase shaded areas? I'm scanning many math and physics books. There are lots of pages with shaded graphs or figures such as triangles, circles, etc. The shaded area is shaded with black dots with a pattern to make it gradually darker or lighter. Scantailor always tries to clean such areas, even though I disabled cleaning.
joseph73
Number of books owned: 1000

Post by joseph73 »

You have to use grayscale/color mode in the output. Black and white binarizes the dots. If they are too light, they become white. Also uncheck equalize illumination because it will lighten the gray areas to white. Or use mixed mode instead and draw boxes around the graphs in the Fill Zones tab if it misses some of them. Mixed mode does a pretty good job of finding graphics.
d14b0ll0s
Number of books owned: 3000

Post by d14b0ll0s »

Hi Tulon,

is STE still under development? Just wanted to say it was great to see it constantly move forward a few months ago.

– Jakub
Tulon

Post by Tulon »

d14b0ll0s wrote:is STE still under development?
Not really. I haven't touched it in a while.

The fun stuff is done and the boring stuff requires quite a bit of effort to get done. Doing something you don't enjoy for free doesn't sound like a good idea to me.
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.
d14b0ll0s
Number of books owned: 3000

Post by d14b0ll0s »

Tulon wrote:
d14b0ll0s wrote:is STE still under development?
Doing something you don't enjoy for free doesn't sound like a good idea to me.
Have you considered turning it into a crowdfunded/donation-supported or (partly) paid project?
Tulon

Post by Tulon »

d14b0ll0s wrote:Have you considered turning it into a crowdfunded/donation-supported or (partly) paid project?
I haven't tried crowdfunding but I used to accept donations. I stopped when donations pretty much died down. Just to give you an idea:
At the peak of donations I was receiving something equivalent of 3 days of my day job salary in a year of donations.
At the point when I stopped accepting donations, I was receiving something equivalent of 2 hours of my day job salary, again in a year of donations.

Meanwhile, openhub.net estimates the effort that went into Scan Tailor as 34 man-years, so go figure.
https://www.openhub.net/p/scantailor