Why is Scan Tailor So Slow?

Scan Tailor specific announcements, releases, workflows, tips, etc. NO FEATURE REQUESTS IN THIS FORUM, please.

Moderator: peterZ

torious
Number of books owned: 0

Why is Scan Tailor So Slow?

Post by torious »

Why is scan tailor so slow? It takes really long to process more than 100 pages. It lags up and freezes a lot. My computer is very good specs-wise too. Is there any way to accelerate the process? Is the software GPU accelerated? It seems like the software would very useful, but speed is lacking. If you have any suggestions or alternatives that would be great...
Tulon

Re: Why is Scan Tailor So Slow?

Post by Tulon »

Extreme slowness is usually caused by specifying wrong DPIs for input images. The video tutorial tells you how to estimate DPIs.

Alternatively, try Scan Tailor Experimental that doesn't use the concept of DPI at all.
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.
torious

Post by torious »

Thanks, I'll try that. I've also noticed that on this forum there is a "ScanTailor_multi_core -- speed up processing". I have an 8 core processor. Does the software really only use 2 cores? Do you recommend using this tool or does the experimental version automatically do this? Do you think ScanTailor will ever be sped up by a graphics card?
reproman
E-book readers owned: 8 kindles
Number of books owned: 3000

Post by reproman »

new experimental works great, fast. 2200 pages on 8 core pc in about 30min
j
Tulon

Post by Tulon »

Scan Tailor Experimental uses both multithreaded processing and OpenCL acceleration. Multi-threaded processing is only available on 64-bit builds though, due to memory constraints in 32-bit mode. OpenCL needs to be explicitly enabled in Tools -> Settings.
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.
dtic

Post by dtic »

torious wrote:I've also noticed that on this forum there is a "ScanTailor_multi_core -- speed up processing".
I made that before Tulon made the new Scan Tailor Experimental. If you process images through the GUI go with Scan Tailor Experimental. If you want to do command line processing you'll for now have to use the older version of Scan Tailor and in that case the ScanTailor_multi_core script may be of use.