How to get the same good result for this picture using Scan Tailor

Scan Tailor specific announcements, releases, workflows, tips, etc. NO FEATURE REQUESTS IN THIS FORUM, please.

Moderator: peterZ

Tulon
Number of books owned: 0

Re: How to get the same good result for this picture using Scan Tailor

Post by Tulon »

Can i install the experimental version in another directory so that i won't lose the classic version or there will be conflict between them ?
Unfortunately, even if you specify a different installation directory, it still overwrites start menu items. Not a big problem though, as you can then re-install the original version and start the Experimental one manually.

Another thing is that project file formats are not compatible between ST Classic and ST experimental. So, once you started a project in one of them, you can't easily switch to another.
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.
fonoblax

Post by fonoblax »

Thank you Tulon very much.
fonoblax

Post by fonoblax »

Hi again
I have a question related to Color output. i want to preserve the original color aspect of scanned images, i choosed Color/Greyscale in the output menu but the files were too big 15MB each or bigger, i want to benefit from batch cropping in Scan Tailor but to preserve the color and have small size pictures like in Black White, what did i do wrong please ?
Tulon

Post by Tulon »

The individual TIFF output files are not expected to be small. To produce the smallest possible PDF or DJVU file from them while preserving color pictures, you need to use the Mixed output mode in Scan Tailor and to use some PDF/DJVU encoding software that knows it deals with Scan Tailor Mixed mode output. That means using pdfbeads or djvubind. Unfortunately, the former is not that easy to install or use on Windows, while the latter is not available for Windows at all.

The deal with Mixed output mode is that it converts everything to B/W except pictures, which it leaves as color or grayscale. The B/W part can then be efficiently compressed with JB2 / JBIG2 algorithms while pictures are compressed with JPEG2000 or IW44. The downside of using the Mixed mode is Scan Tailor doesn't always detect pictures accurately, so you will need to fix those cases manually with pictures zones.
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.
fonoblax

Post by fonoblax »

Thank you for the answer !

I will try to use those tools when i reach the final step of making pdf but otherwise i have found a way to compress the tiff files using PhotoFiltre i do batch process resizing to 1500px and saving to jpg, the output files move down to 600 Ko and it feels like they preserve their original quality output by Scan Tailor, i wanted to have smaller size than that but this seems fair.
cday

Post by cday »

Colour content inevitably has much larger file sizes than black and white content, as there is no colour file format and compression method that can come anywhere near to the very small file sizes that can be obtained for black and white content that is optimally saved (usually as a TIFF with CCITT G4 'Fax' compression, or even better when available, JBIG2).

Although JPEG is lossy and theoretically not suited to content with sharp edges such as text, in practice it generally works well and is usually the best option when file size is important. If file size is still an issue, you might cautiously experiment with using higher compression settings (lower 'Quality') as often quite low settings still produce acceptable results.

When ScanTailor Mixed mode is used only areas of the page that need to be saved in grayscale or colour are saved that way, minimising the file size of the page.
L.Willms
E-book readers owned: Tolino Shine

Post by L.Willms »

cday wrote: 28 Feb 2017, 14:45 Although JPEG is lossy and theoretically not suited to content with sharp edges such as text, in practice it generally works well and is usually the best option when file size is important.
Depends. PNG can be smaller than JPEG.

It depends on the number of colors present in the image.